This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1288 / 57°7'43"N
Longitude: -2.117 / 2°7'1"W
OS Eastings: 393012
OS Northings: 804214
OS Grid: NJ930042
Mapcode National: GBR S8R.ZS
Mapcode Global: WH9QX.G23T
Entry Name: Holburn Street, Ruthrieston South Church (Church of Scotland) and Hall, Including Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354381
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19950
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
A Marshal Mackenzie, of Matthew and Mackenzie, 1890. T-plan, simple gothic church with gableted bellcote; hall additions 1904 and 1971. Single storey, basement to E; single storey hall with 2-storey additions. Coursed Aberdeen bond granite, finely finished to margins. Base course; string course at cills; chamfered reveals; blocking buttresses; predominantly trefoil-headed windows; eaves course.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 7-bay; steeply-pitched gableted porch to penultimate bay to left, pointed-arched doorway with hoodmould and decorative label stops, 2-leaf boarded timber door with decorative ironwork hinges, stone crucifix to apex; quadripartite window to left return, right return blank; single window to flanking bay to left; single window to penultimate bay to right, flanked to left and right by bipartite windows. Church hall additions advanced to outer right, 1904 hall gabled, 1971 addition of tile-hung 1st floor to left return.
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled; 3-light pointed-arched window surround encompassing central pointed-arched window, flanked to left and right by trefoil-headed window, hoodmould with decorative label stops, crucifix to apex; church hall advanced to left, 2 flat-arched windows and single pointed-arched window to right return, remainder blank.
N ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 7-bay; alternation single and bipartite windows to each bay; NE lean-to transept adjoining to outer left, timber door to basement reached by stone steps, flanked by modern window, quadripartite window centred above.
W ELEVATION: symmetrical; gabled; pointed-arched window surround to centre, 5-light with alternation pointed-arched and trefoil-headed windows; trefoil window set in gablehead above; bellcote to apex with bell, Celtic cross to apex.
Predominantly square-pane leaded windows with stained glass panels. Grey slate roof with lead ridge and cast-iron ventilators, graded roof to porch. Coped skews with moulded skewputts. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: timber panelled below dado; aisless nave; simple timber pews; segmental-arched window surrounds; timber barrel-vaulted roof. Panelled timber porch. Chancel stepped up, decorative timber screen to E wall; replacement stained glass window above; gothic pulpit.
Hall: to SE; panelled below dado, decorative cornicing and mouldings to ventilators; stage to N.
GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble walls to S, E and N; coped Aberdeen bond coursed granite walls to W stepped up to form gatepiers, decorative cast-iron 2-leaf gate.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such (1999). In 1876, Ruthrieston Church began its life in the old school of Ruthrieston, and was intended to provide religious services for the outlying part of the parish of Ruthrieston, near the Bridge of Dee, splitting from Holburn Central. After two years larger accommodation was required, and in 1881 the "Iron Kirkie" was opened (now demolished), near the Old Ruthrieston Pack Bridge (see separate listing). Increasing number again lead to the need for improved facilities, and "the corner-stone of the church was laid on 3rd September, 1890, by the Very Rev. Dr. A.K.H.Boyd, of St Andrews" (Gammie p53). The church was completed in 1891 at a cost of ?2250. The church halls were built in 1904 "according to an excellent and handsome design" (Gammie p54), which was then further extended in 1971. With the exception of minor alterations most of the church exterior and interior survive intact.
Other nearby listed buildings