This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1465 / 57°8'47"N
Longitude: -2.0994 / 2°5'57"W
OS Eastings: 394086
OS Northings: 806184
OS Grid: NJ940061
Mapcode National: GBR SC9.1K
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.QMHS
Entry Name: Union Street, 9 Back Wynd, Schoolhill and Correction Wynd, St Nicholas Churchyard, Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354404
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19967
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Dating from 16th century. Large city centre graveyard surrounding Kirk of St Nicholas, including John Smith, 1829-30, triumphal arch and classical screen to Union Street (S) and single storey 3-bay classical lodge to N. Contains many high quality carved and decorative grave monuments in a variety of styles dating from the 17th century onwards. Includes: John Smith c1843; square-plan classical monument to Dr Robert Hamilton, with tall base with 4 Doric corner columns supporting entablature above and enclosing simple urn, 17th century mural monuments with decorative carving, table tombs, upright classical monuments.
To S: fine granite ashlar classical Ionic columned corniced screen with square-plan Doric pilastered end blocks. Central triumphal arch type entrance with flanking paired Ionic pilasters and cornice above. Decorative central iron gate and railings between columns.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: coped rubble walls to N, W and E, some with iron railings. Coped, panelled, granite ashlar gatepiers to E and N, those to E with decorative urns.
Situated in the centre of the Aberdeen and surrounding the original Medieval burgh church of St Nicholas (see separate listing), this is an important graveyard with many large decorative monuments dating from the 17th century onwards. It is the burial place of many esteemed Aberdeen figures. The significance of the figures buried is echoed in the size and elaborate decoration of the monuments. The classical screen to Union Street by celebrated architect John Smith, is a particularly distinguished feature of the graveyard and it makes a significant contribution to the streetscape of Union Street.
The screen was designed by John Smith and was based on the recently completed screen by Decimus Burton at Hyde Park Corner in London.-
The lodge at the North of the graveyard was originally situated within the Robert Gordon's College.
John Smith (1781-1852), a native of Aberdeen, established himself in architectural practice in the city in 1804. He became the Master of Work in 1824 and designed many of Aberdeen's public buildings, showing an expertise in working with granite. With Archibald Simpson, (1790-1847), he was one of the major architects involved in designing the expanding nineteenth century city of Aberdeen. His other works include the Aberdeen Arts Centre and St Clement's East Church (see separate listings).
Part of B Group with Nos 5-53, 67-89, 95-139, 143-153 (odd nos) Union Street, Nos 26-42, 46-62, 78-106, 114-144 (even nos) Union Street and St Nicholas Churchyard.
References from previous list description: Aberdeen Observed, 15th March 1833. G M Fraser, Archibald Simpson and his Times. Chapman and Riley p148. Plans, King's College Library.
Other nearby listed buildings