History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

15 Back Wynd (Former West St Nicholas Church Parish Rooms)

A Category C Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1475 / 57°8'50"N

Longitude: -2.1005 / 2°6'1"W

OS Eastings: 394018

OS Northings: 806292

OS Grid: NJ940062

Mapcode National: GBR SC4.0D

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.PMZ1

Entry Name: 15 Back Wynd (Former West St Nicholas Church Parish Rooms)

Listing Date: 9 October 1991

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 354405

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19968

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Aberdeen

Description

Late 19th century. 2-storey, 5-bay Classical church hall with round-arched openings. Bull-faced granite ashlar with polished ashlar dressings. Raised and moulded margins; string course; moulded cornice and blocking course. Slightly advanced 'quatre-style' centre bays with square-cut pilasters to first floor and projecting pediment above frieze. Ashlar apron panels to ground-floor openings; slightly recessed door to 3rd bay. Segmental-arched pend to far right (now containing small retail infill - resurvey 2006).

10-pane, timber astragalled, fixed-pane windows at 1st floor; Grey slate; cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: wide, open timber roof to main hall space at upper level.

Statement of Interest

This former church hall makes use of Classical elements to create a balanced whole with round-arched openings lending the building an arcaded aspect at ground floor level, more typical of Aberdeen buildings constructed at the beginning of the 19th century. The unusual design makes liberal use of bull-faced masonry, contrasting with the smooth ashlar dressings, and making a good contribution to the streetscape. Before the building of Union Street, Back Wynd led down to the Green and was the last street on this side of the Medieval town.

Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.