This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1483 / 57°8'53"N
Longitude: -2.0917 / 2°5'30"W
OS Eastings: 394550
OS Northings: 806384
OS Grid: NJ945063
Mapcode National: GBR SDC.S1
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.VL4D
Entry Name: 25-30 (Inclusive Nos) Castle Street, 3 Castle Street, 6-14 (Even Nos) Justice Street and 1-5 (Inclusive Nos) Castle Hill, Salvation Army Citadel
Listing Date: 26 May 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354439
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19996
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
James Souttar, 1893-6. Large 4-storey and attic 7-bay, U-plan, castellated, crow-stepped multi-gabled Scots Baronial Salvation Army complex. Comprising hall, flats and shops (see Notes) and with dominant 5-stage square-plan turreted tower. Shops to ground (altered). Grey granite ashlar to E. Dark coursed granite with light coloured dressings to N and S elevations. Corner turrets, bartizans, string courses, corbelled and crenellated parapet. Segmental arched windows to principal elevation (E).
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: asymmetrical elevations. Principal elevation to E. Large recessed segmental-arched windows to central 3 bays comprising 2-light arched windows with round window above. To left, slightly advanced bay with steps leading to round-arched entrance porch with corbelled oriel windows above. Tower rises from roof above with corbelled round crenellated turret to NW corner.
Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows. Some coloured emblematic glass to hall windows. Grey slate. Grey fish-scale slating to turrets.
INTERIOR: 3-storey central hall with stage and 3-sided gallery, supported by decorative columns. Timber flooring. Some other large rooms with timber dado-panelling. Flats largely altered.
This is a large and prominent building, situated in the Castlegate and terminating the Eastwards vista of Union Street. In Scots Baronial style, it is dominated by its bartizaned tower. Using a variety of castellated stylistic devices, it gives an impressive and commanding presence to this area of the city and forms a foil to the Town House nearby.
The third plan to be finally approved by the City, the Citadel was built by the Salvation Army as a complete complex comprising a worship hall in the centre, shops at ground level and surrounded by domestic flats. At cost of £23,000, the building was placed specifically within an area of large population and social need. A building of this size and complexity was an unusual departure for the Salvation Army, whose normal preference was to have one hall that served a more multi-purpose use. Some of the flats were specifically for Salvation Army personnel use, and these had direct access to the Hall. It is suggested that General Booth, touring the country prior to the building of the Citadel, was very taken with the style of the tower at Balmoral Castle and planned a similar one for the Citadel.
James Souttar (1840-1922) was born in London and articled to Mackenzie and Mathews in Aberdeen from 1852-1860. He then travelled extensively throughout Europe, living for some time in Sweden. He settled in Aberdeen from 1866 and his output include various work within the City, including the Carmelite Hotel (see separate listing). The Salvation Army Citadel is widely considered to be his best work.
Part of B Group with Nos 1-7 Justice Street, Nos 9-23, 31-35, 40-48, 51 and 52 (inclusive nos) Castle Street, and Salvation Army Citadel.
Other nearby listed buildings