This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1291 / 57°7'44"N
Longitude: -2.1037 / 2°6'13"W
OS Eastings: 393820
OS Northings: 804249
OS Grid: NJ938042
Mapcode National: GBR SBN.VT
Mapcode Global: WH9QX.N2FK
Entry Name: Duthie Park, Mcgrigor Obelisk
Listing Date: 19 March 1984
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354453
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20010
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Alexander Ellis, architect, and James Giles, artist; 1860. Pink polished granite obelisk, on square-plan base and plinth, bearing recessed tooled grey granite panel to N.
B-Group with Duthie Park Bandstand, Bowling Pavilion, East Lodge, Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls, Footbridge over Upper Lake, Fountain, Fountainhall Cistern House, Gordon Highlanders Celtic Memorial, Gordon Highlanders Obelisk Memorial, Hygeia Statue, Taylor Well, and Temperance Drinking Fountain (see separate listings). The site of the Duthie Park was originally a marshy piece of land covered in gorse (or whin, hence the nearby "Whinhill Road), it was known as Pulmoor, now "Polmuir". In 1850 Arthurseat (the villa on the site) and its surrounding land was intended to be developed as a Royal Garden to view the trains crossing the new viaduct to and from London via Ferryhill. However, in 1881 Miss Charlotte Duthie of Ruthrieston purchased the site and gifted it to the City of Aberdeen for a public park. It was decided it should be "available for all classes of citizens, that it should have a broad expanse of grassy sward upon which the young might indulge in innocent frolic and play..." (Duthie Park, p37). The park was designed by William R McKelvie of Dundee, and the first sod, of the 47 acres of land, was cut on the 27th of August 1881, the park being officially opened in 1883. The McGrigor Obelisk, which was built to honour the memory of Sir James McGrigor. Among his many achievements McGrigor was Director-general of the army medical department for 36 years, and Lord Rector of Marischal College. The obelisk was originally in the forecourt of Marischal College (see
separate listing), however in 1905 it was moved to the Duthie Park when the college was extended.
Other nearby listed buildings