This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.143 / 57°8'34"N
Longitude: -2.1125 / 2°6'45"W
OS Eastings: 393288
OS Northings: 805799
OS Grid: NJ932057
Mapcode National: GBR S9D.XW
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.JQ7F
Entry Name: 2 Alford Place, Alford Place Church (Former Christ's College Library), Including Wall and Railings
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354533
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20087
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midstocket/Rosemount
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Early to mid 19th century, remodelled including addition of Library and Museum to N, by Matthews and Mackenzie, 1887; John Morgan, Builder. Single storey, basement and attic, 3-bay former library. Granite ashlar with chamfered reveals. Base course; Tudor-arched openings with decorative tracery; decorative eaves cornice surmounted by crenellated parapet; gableted dormers with decoratively pierced bargeboarding.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; stone steps flanked by railings to doorway to centre of ground floor, panelled timber door flanked by glazed panels and surmounted by fanlight, flanked to left and right by moulded granite shafts rising to eaves cornice from decorative dripstones; 3-light windows to flanking bays to left and right. Regular fenestration to basement floor. 3-light gableted dormers to left and right of attic floor.
W AND E ELEVATION: obscured by adjoining terraces.
N ELEVATION: long library, Matthews and Mackenzie 1887, with canted end advanced, 3-light pointed-arched window to each facet of canted bays; left and right returns blank at ground floor, 7 gableted clerestory windows with cusped tracery to attic; iron ventilators to ridge.
Predominantly leaded, traceried windows. Grey slate roof with tiled ridge to S, lead ridge to library. Coped granite gablehead stack with circular and octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: long entrance hall, with decoratively boarded panelling; panelled doors with decorative architraves; stained glass to principal doors; boarded timber ceiling with decoratively moulded coffering. Boarded timber rib-vaulted ceiling, punctuated by clerestory windows with decoratively carved brackets, pierced circular ventilators to apex.
WALL AND RAILINGS: low granite wall to S, enclosing basement, surmounted by railings.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Originally a traditional Aberdeen cottage, cleverly converted by Matthews and Mackenzie into a castellated gothic library. The main body of the library, including a museum, was originally in the long hall behind, lit by clerestory windows similar to those at King's College Chapel (Brogden, p102). The rooms looking onto Alford Place were a porter's house and students' hall.
Other nearby listed buildings