This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.138 / 57°8'16"N
Longitude: -2.1045 / 2°6'16"W
OS Eastings: 393771
OS Northings: 805236
OS Grid: NJ937052
Mapcode National: GBR SBK.5B
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.NV19
Entry Name: Bon Accord Street, Ferryhill House Hotel (Formerly Ferryhill House), Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354548
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20100
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Late 18th century. 2-storey attic and basement, 3-bay classical house, now an hotel. Harled and white-washed with finely finished granite margins. Granite base course, dividing band course and eaves course; V-jointed long and short quoins; projecting cills.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; round-arched doorway to centre of ground floor, reached by 4 stone steps, impost and keystone details, 2-leaf glazed and panelled timber door with fanlight, window to 1st floor above; 3 windowed bowed bays flanking to left and right through ground and 1st floors, infilled openings to basement, dentil moulded cornicing, conical roofs; pair of 3-light canted dormers to centre of attic floor. Single storey, single bay wing adjoining to outer right with window to centre.
SE ELEVATION: not seen 1999.
NE ELEVATION: near-symmetrical, 3-bay; 2-storey, single bay wing advanced to centre, window to ground floor, large round-arched window with basket tracery to 1st floor above, 2 windows to ground and 1st floor of right return, single window to ground and 1st floor of left return; single window to 1st floor of flanking bays to left and right.
NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; ground floor obscured by late 20th century conservatory; 2 irregularly placed windows to 1st floor.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended double roof, graded grey slate with lead ridges. Coped wallhead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan granite ashlar gatepiers to SW, corniced with spherical finials surmounted by iron lamps. Granite rubble boundary walls with semi-circular brick coping.
Ferryhill House originally stood in wooded policies, the boundaries of which are now Ferryhill Road and Fonthill Road. They form the key roads in the suburb of Ferryhill, which developed from 1831. Although the majority of the policies have now been developed, Ferryhill House survives as one of the oldest and grandest dwellings in Ferryhill. It is duplicated in miniature at 27 Polmuir Road (see separate listing).
Other nearby listed buildings