History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

9 Albyn Place, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls

A Category B Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1426 / 57°8'33"N

Longitude: -2.1145 / 2°6'52"W

OS Eastings: 393169

OS Northings: 805746

OS Grid: NJ931057

Mapcode National: GBR S94.9Z

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.HQBT

Entry Name: 9 Albyn Place, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 12 January 1967

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 354617

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20116

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Town: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Aberdeen

Description

Probably Archibald Simpson, circa 1820; late 20th century additions and alterations. 2-storey and basement 3-bay classical villa. Tooled coursed granite with finely finished margins. Base course; 1st floor cill course; eaves cornice and blocking course.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; semi-circular-plan porch to centre bay at ground floor supported on Tuscan columns, semi-circular granite ashlar steps leading to doorway; 2-leaf panelled timber door with decorative fanlight, flanked by narrow windows, windows to centre of 1st floor above, blocking course stepped-up to centre; flanking bays to left and right slightly advanced, louvred openings to basement floor, window to ground floor of each bay set in round-arched ashlar recess with granite roundel above, regular fenestration to 1st floor. Single storey, flat-roofed wing adjoining to outer left.

W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; brick bay to left of ground floor (originally obscured by wing), window to centre and right bays; blind window to left of 1st floor, 2 widows flanking to right.

S ELEVATION: ground floor obscured by later additions, regular fenestration to 1st floor, harled flat-roofed late 20th century 2-storey addition adjoining to right, irregular fenestration.

E ELEVATION: asymmetrical; single storey wing obscuring ground floor, irregular fenestration; blind window to right of 1st floor, 2 windows flanking to left.

Predominantly 9-pane and 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped brick wallhead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: majority of skirting boards, door and window architraves, panelled timber doors and cornices survive; fretwork design to some architraves. Pilastered entrance hall supporting segmental-arched roof, moulded anthemion motifs to necks of pilasters, round-arched niche flanked by round-arched doorway to left leading to stair; elegantly curved stair with decorative cast-iron balusters supporting wooden handrail; decorative timber fire surround to dining room (originally in 1 Albyn Place), panelled and mirrored overmantle, pilastered buffet recess; predominantly mid 20th century fireplaces to remaining rooms; fine 19th century timber fire surround to modern addition.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: low coped rough-faced granite wall to N, surmounted by railings, flanked to left and right by square-plan gatepiers with pyramidal caps; granite and brick coped rubble walls to E and W.

Statement of Interest

Albyn Place was originally built on the lands of Rubislaw, owned by James Skene. Skene lived in Albyn Place in Edinburgh (hence the same name in Aberdeen), and commissioned Archibald Elliot to prepare a scheme for Aberdeen based on the New Town in Edinburgh. Albyn Place was the only part of Elliot's scheme to be executed, the remainder being remodelled by Archibald Simpson just over a decade later, and again in the 1840s. 9 Albyn Place, which seems likely to have been designed by Simpson, who also designed the nearby Harlaw Academy, 28 Albyn Place and probably some of the other houses on the street (see separate listings). The columned porch is a slightly later addition, with columns of Cruden Bay brick. The house originally had 2 wings to E and W, that to the W has since been removed. The house was owned by Professor Theodore Cash in 1898, then by William Clark Souter, who sold it to the trustees of the Royal Northern Club in 1948 (the RNC amalgamated with the University Club in 1979 to form the Royal Northern and University Club), in whose ownership it remains. Some of the fittings from the clubs previous building at 1 Albyn Place, notably the impressive fireplace in the dining room, were brought to 9 Albyn Place. Despite the enlargements in the late 20th century, 9 Albyn Place is a remarkably complete example of an early villa built as Aberdeen expanded westwards in the 19th century.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.