This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1427 / 57°8'33"N
Longitude: -2.1196 / 2°7'10"W
OS Eastings: 392858
OS Northings: 805760
OS Grid: NJ928057
Mapcode National: GBR S8F.1X
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.DQWQ
Entry Name: 25 Albyn Place at Albyn Grove, Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354628
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20119
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Circa 1830; additions by J Russell Mackenzie, 1875. 2-storey, 3-bay house with wings adjoining. Tooled coursed granite finely finished to margins. Base course; projecting cills; overhanging eaves.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 3-bay block to centre, pedimented open porch supported by Tuscan columns, 2-leaf panelled timber door with glazed upper panels, letterbox fanlight; windows to flanking bays to left and right; 3 regularly placed windows to 1st floor. 2-storey, single bay, pedimented wings advanced to outer left and right, architraved windows to ground floor, corniced with consoles, architraved windows with panelled aprons to 1st floor; timber framing to pediment.
W ELEVATION: single window off-centre of right of 1st floor.
S ELEVATION: 5-bay; 3-bay block to centre, regular fenestration to ground and 1st floors, rectangular slate-hung dormer to attic floor, modern addition advanced to left; gabled bays to outer left and right with near regular fenestration to each.
E ELEVATION: doorway to centre of ground floor with panelled timber door, letterbox fanlight, narrow window flanking to left; round-arched window to 1st floor above, with marginal glazing pattern.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridges. Shouldered ashlar wallhead stacks, coped, with octagonal and circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: tiled floor to porch, with glazed inner door; false ceilings; no fireplaces survive.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low coped ashlar walls to N, square-plan piers with pyramidal caps at angles; coped rubble walls to rear.
Albyn Place was originally built on the lands of Rubislaw, owned by James Skene. Skene lived in Albyn Place in Edinburgh (hence the same name in Aberdeen), and commissioned Archibald Elliot to prepare a scheme for Aberdeen based on the New Town in Edinburgh. Albyn Place was the only part of Elliot's scheme to be executed, the remainder being remodelled by Archibald Simpson just over a decade later, and again in the 1840s. 25 Albyn Place, though enlarged in the later 19th century, is a good example of the type of classical villa being built as Aberdeen expanded westwards from the early 19th century. Archibald Simpson designed several of the villas in this area of Aberdeen, so may have been involved in this design. Under ownership of Bell Lawrie White, Stockbrokers (2000).
Other nearby listed buildings