This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1427 / 57°8'33"N
Longitude: -2.1216 / 2°7'17"W
OS Eastings: 392738
OS Northings: 805765
OS Grid: NJ927057
Mapcode National: GBR S83.QK
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.CQYP
Entry Name: 29 Albyn Place, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354631
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20122
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Circa 1830; minor internal alterations Arthur Clyne, 1892. 2-storey, basement and attic, 3-bay classical house. Tooled coursed granite ashlar finely finished to margins at N elevation, Aberdeen bond granite to remainder. Projecting cills; strip quoins; eaves course; overhanging eaves.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; pedimented porch with pilastered quoins advanced to centre of ground floor, 2-leaf panelled timber door with letterbox fanlight, windows to left and right returns; windows to flanking bays to left and right; regular fenestration to 1st floor.
W ELEVATION: window to centre of 1st floor.
S ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; gabled bay to centre, regular fenestration. Addition to outer right under construction 2000.
E ELEVATION: 2 openings to right of ground floor; window to centre of 1st floor.
Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows, some windows removed/altered. Grey slate roof in places, remainder removed for replacement (2000). Coped wallhead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan granite ashlar gatepiers to N, battered, with segmental-arched caps. Low granite kerb to N; coped rubble boundary walls to remainder.
Albyn Place was originally built on the lands of Rubislaw, owned by James Skene. Skene lived in Albyn Place in Edinburgh (hence the same name in Aberdeen), and commissioned Archibald Elliot to prepare a scheme for Aberdeen based on the New Town in Edinburgh. Albyn Place was the only part of Elliot's scheme to be executed, the remainder being remodelled by Archibald Simpson just over a decade later, and again in the 1840s. Graham suggests that 29 Albyn Place is in the "style of Simpson" as no firm evidence that Archibald Simpson was the architect exists. The broad overhanging eaves, low pitched roof and pedimented entrance porch are suggestive of Simpson's work. Also noteworthy are the unusual gatepiers to the S, their battered form and segmental-arched caps differ from the more traditional square-plan with pyramidal cap formula which can be found at the majority of houses on Albyn Place. Undergoing major renovation and extension (2000).
Other nearby listed buildings