This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1472 / 57°8'49"N
Longitude: -2.1019 / 2°6'6"W
OS Eastings: 393934
OS Northings: 806256
OS Grid: NJ939062
Mapcode National: GBR SBX.K6
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.PM98
Entry Name: 37, 37a Belmont Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354639
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20130
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Late 18th century. 2-storey with basement and attic, 5-bay townhouse (now shop) set on ground sloping to rear. Squared and coursed granite with raised polished ashlar quoins and raised margins. Band course at basement and eaves; dentiled cornice. Simple consoled doorpiece obscured by large projecting late 20th century timber and plate glass shopfront covering central 3 bays. 3-storey and attic to rear (W elevation) with wide rectangular opening to far left with stone lintel over; ornate cast-iron stair rises to first floor entrance at 2nd bay.
12-pane timber sash and case windows; pair of piended dormers to street elevation; pair of canted dormers to rear; grey slate roof; ashlar skews; broad gable end stacks with moulded octagonal cans; cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: Comprehensively modernised. Retains central square stairwell positioned towards the front of the building, rising to attic level.
No 37 is a good example of a late 18th century townhouse and one of the earliest surviving buildings on Belmont Street. Situated next to the similar No 47 (see separate listing), it is one of the best-maintained buildings on this historically important street and adds considerably to the streetscape. No 37 was originally the new townhouse of the Menzies of Pitfodels who had moved from the Castlegate to what was then the edge of town. A stone balustraded and panelled forestair and plaque above the entrance consol have been removed and replaced by the current shopfront. There was also originally a pair of flanking pavilions (low wings) at either side of the property. Belmont Street was open pasture running alongside the Denburn until the 1770's from which point it was feued for building and quickly developed with a variety of uses and styles providing the street with an eclecticism uncommon within the commercial heart of Aberdeen. Currently occupied by Black and Lizars Opticians (2006).
Other nearby listed buildings