This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1473 / 57°8'50"N
Longitude: -2.102 / 2°6'7"W
OS Eastings: 393927
OS Northings: 806274
OS Grid: NJ939062
Mapcode National: GBR SBX.K4
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.PM84
Entry Name: 47 Belmont Street
Listing Date: 19 March 1984
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354640
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20131
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
DESCRIPTION: Later 18th century. 2-storey with attic and basement, 3-bay Classical townhouse. Squared and coursed granite with moulded cornice.
Principal (E) elevation: off-centre corniced timber doorpiece to central bay with three fluted pilasters framing double-leaf, 6-panel timber door to left and ground floor window to right. Above: astragalled, fixed pane stair window with further 6-pane fixed window above. Pair of later tripartite, curved dormers to attic; pair of canted dormers to rear. Small, round-arched attic windows in N and S gable ends. 4-bays to rear with regular fenestration at 1st and 2nd floors.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof. Ashlar skews. Broad gable end stacks with moulded octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: Good interior scheme. Narrow vestibule with inner double-leaf door with glazed panels. Central, rectangular stairwell, situated at front of building, rises to attic level; turned timber balustrades and hardwood hand rail. Moulded stone chimneypieces in majority of principal rooms to the rear of the building. Panelled friezes and ornamental cornicing throughout.
No 47 Belmont Street, situated next to the similar No 37 (see separate listing), is a good example of a late 18th century townhouse which adds considerably to the streetscape. There are good interior details remaining such as the stone chimneypieces and decorative cornicing. It is likely that the building originally had a central doorway similar to the one at No 37, although this has been altered at a later date, probably for commercial purposes. Belmont Street was open pasture running alongside the Denburn until the 1770's from which point it was feued for building and quickly developed with a variety of uses and styles lending the street an eclecticism uncommon within the commercial heart of Aberdeen. Until recently, the building was known as 'Caberstone House'. Lower windows boarded (2006).
Other nearby listed buildings