This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1438 / 57°8'37"N
Longitude: -2.1058 / 2°6'20"W
OS Eastings: 393696
OS Northings: 805883
OS Grid: NJ936058
Mapcode National: GBR SBC.C6
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.MPGV
Plus Code: 9C9V4VVV+GM
Entry Name: 11a-19 Bon Accord Street (Former Livery Stables and Offices), 21-29 Langstane Place and 2-16 Gordon Street
Listing Date: 27 June 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354691
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20139
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
3-storey ranges on triangular corner site, built around inner courtyard as stables and offices for Campbells Ltd, Post Horse Masters, 1889, with additions and alterations 1890, 1895, 1908. L-plan block with 17 bays at LANGSTANE PLACE AND 3 RETURN BAYS INTO GORDON STREET earliest, of 1889, extended circa 1890s with a further 10 bays at Gordon Street providing main stabling accommodation: squared granite rubble, with stugged ashlar dressings, polished ashlar continuous cill course projecting at ground and 1st floors, individual cills at 2nd; eaves course. Regular fenestration: short segmental-arched ground floor openings, large, 20-pane windows at 1st and 2nd, with metal astragals and top hoppers (except first 3 bays into Gordon Street, 2nd storey; small square windows close up at eaves; and 2nd storey at Langstane Place: 2 small square openings flanked by large windows). Curved glazing at bowed angle of Langstane PLace/Gordon Street, with shaped and coped curvilinear gable and ball finial above wallhead. Shaped wallhead stack to left into Gordon Street. Slated hoist cage central above Langstane Place block a later addition. Brick at rear/courtyard elevation.
GORDON STREET ELEVATION: 3 bays 1889, extended by further 10 bays circa 1890s. Shopfront at bay 1; 2 carriage entrances with sliding doors on tracks alternating with 2 windows further S at ground. 1st storey openings blocked at lower half randomly towards S end. 2nd storey large windows (not hoppers).
NOS 11a-19 BON ACCORD STREET: original 2-storey and attic houses (5-bay house to left, Nos 11a to 17; 2-bay to right, No 19) of circa 1840, adapted as offices and domestic premises of Campbells Ltd by 1889 (in 1889 plans shopfronts and stable doors at groundmat Nos 15 and 17, with store rooms to rear at courtyard; 11a at corner originally funeral office, Campbells Ltd). Minor alterations 1908. Granite ashlar, slated roofs; regrettable modern shopfronts at ground. Wrought-iron Art Noveau gate at pend (to Gilchrist Funeral Department) at No 19. Pend/carriage entrance at No 13, leading to concrete ramps within (see Courtyard). Plain sash and case glazing to Nos 11a-17. Original glazing at 1st floor. No 19 to right only (?top hopper). Bow fronted timber dormer windows at 11a-17; canted timber-fronted dormers at No 19; end stacks. COURTYARD: early and advanced cantilevered concrete construction providing ramps on 2 levels for access by horses to upper floors. Steel beams mass concrete arched construction cantilevered over courtyard below, cast-iron columns between upper and lower levels, presumably original, dating from 1890s.
Other nearby listed buildings