History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

17 Castle Street

A Category B Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1486 / 57°8'54"N

Longitude: -2.0926 / 2°5'33"W

OS Eastings: 394496

OS Northings: 806413

OS Grid: NJ944064

Mapcode National: GBR SD7.GD

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TLQ6

Entry Name: 17 Castle Street

Listing Date: 12 January 1967

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 354773

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20166

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Aberdeen

Description

Possibly William Law (see Notes), circa 1760. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay townhouse with commercial premises to ground with round-arched pend opening to right. Coursed Loanhead granite. Raised moulded lugged architraves to 1st storey, moulded eaves cornice. Pair of piended, canted dormers. 4-panel, 2-leaf timber entrance door to left with glazed fanlight above. Late 20th century extension to rear (N).

12-pane timber sash and case windows to 1st storey; multi-pane with timber astragals to ground. Steeply pitched roof with grey slates.

Statement of Interest

This is a rare survivor of a late 18th century building in the Castlegate. Although 17th and 18th century buildings previously dominated the Castlegate area, these were mostly replaced in the 19th century. This building is similar to other later 18th century houses on Marischal Street (see separate listings). Its regularly spaced windows is indicative of the beginning of the Classical style in Aberdeen. The steep pitch of the roof and the use of the softer, beige-coloured Loanhead granite distinguish this building from the later and taller buildings surrounding it which are constructed from harder grey granite. Loanhead granite was the building material used before new technology facilitated cutting harder types of granite.

The pend to the right of this building originally led to Albion Court, a terrace of 2-storey, 19th century houses, built on 17th century foundations. These were demolished in 1985.

Brogden writes that this building may be the work of William Law, an 18th century Aberdeen builder-architect who was closely involved with the expansion and improvement of 18th century Aberdeen.

Castle Street (or Castlegate) is considered by many to be the heart of Aberdeen city centre. It has been the site of the main market place since the 12th century. It contains a 17th century Mercat Cross (a Scheduled Ancient Monument). The central rectangular area has, through the centuries, been bounded by a succession of different buildings, predominantly private houses and commercial premises. The Tolbooth was built here in the 17th century. The earlier buildings were replaced from the 19th century onwards using the existing footprint, and therefore the important large central space which continues to form a focal point for the city was retained.

Part of B Group with Nos 1-7 Justice Street, Nos 9-23, 31-35, 40-48, 51 and 52 (inclusive nos) Castle Street, and Salvation Army Citadel.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.