This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1515 / 57°9'5"N
Longitude: -2.088 / 2°5'16"W
OS Eastings: 394774
OS Northings: 806735
OS Grid: NJ947067
Mapcode National: GBR SDW.JL
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.WHWZ
Plus Code: 9C9V5W26+HR
Entry Name: Constitution Street, Beach Court Care Home, (Former St Peter's R.c. Infant School) Including Boundary Wall and Gate Piers
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354862
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20238
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Dated 1833. Double-height and 2-storey classical Palladian-style U-plan former school comprehensively renovated with significant additions in the 1990s. 5-bay pedimented central section, flanking side wings with integral flat-roofed Doric-columned entrance porches and with advanced pedimented 3-bay wings set at right angles, forming U-plan. Coursed grey granite with fine margins. Cill course to side wings. Eaves course. Broad eaves. Tall, round-arched openings to central section; segmental-arched windows to ground. Latin inscription at central frieze (see Notes). Late 20th century extension to W.
Predominantly multi and 4-pane replacement timber sash and case windows to front elevation (N). Some replacement casement windows to central section. Grey slate. Gable and ridge stacks.
INTERIOR: No original interior elements. Comprehensively modernised (2006).
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: low, coped rubble granite wall with railings to N with 2 sets of square-plan coped gate piers.
Built as the Infant School for St Peter' Roman Catholic Church on Justice Street (see separate listing) this former school is designed in a Palladian style with a central pedimented section and 2 pedimented wings. It is a distinctive building in the local streetscape. The two Doric porches probably served as separate entrances for boys and girls. The Latin inscription at the central frieze RELIGIONI ET BONIS MORIBUS translates as 'for religion and good morals' . The school was set up in 1833 by Charles Gordon, priest of St Peter's and the wings were used for the orphaned boys and girls of the congregation. The cost of setting up the school was £2,250.
The style is reminiscent of John Smith, the architect who was responsible for many of the classical buildings within Aberdeen City centre, but it is not yet known whether this building was designed by him. During the 20th century, the building has also been a Polish Mission and a home for 'wayward mothers'.
The building was disused and dilapidated in the late 20th century with one of the wings being roofless. It was then comprehensively renovated to form Nursing Home in 1990s.
Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.
Other nearby listed buildings