History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

111 Gallowgate Including Boundary Wall and Railings

A Category C Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1509 / 57°9'3"N

Longitude: -2.0991 / 2°5'56"W

OS Eastings: 394104

OS Northings: 806675

OS Grid: NJ941066

Mapcode National: GBR SC9.Q7

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.QJMD

Entry Name: 111 Gallowgate Including Boundary Wall and Railings

Listing Date: 29 November 1994

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 355080

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20316

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Town: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Old Aberdeen

Description

1922. Single storey and basement, 5-bay symmetrical classical former soap laboratory (offices 2006). Red brick 2-storey and basement to rear. Grey granite ashlar to street elevation (E). Base course, cornice, blocking course. Steps leading to central pilastered doorpiece with 2 Doric columns and recessed 2-leaf 4 panel timber door with sidelights and fanlight above. Advanced outer bays with tripartite windows.

Predominantly small pane timber sash and case windows. Piended roof with grey slates. Coped ridge and wallhead stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: to street elevation; low granite wall surmounted by decorative metal railings.

INTERIOR: comprehensively modernised (2006).

Statement of Interest

This is an unusual and striking building with a distinctive low classical profile and a good central doorpiece. Industrial buildings of this quality are rare in Aberdeen and the careful detailing here marks this building out as exceptional. The contrast between the grey granite used for the street elevation and the red brick at the rear is used to good effect, indicating perhaps the dual nature of the building as both formal offices and industrial laboratories.

The building was built for Messrs Ogsten and Tennant, who were internationally known manufacturers of soaps and candles. Bought by Unilever after WWII, the factory closed in the 1970s and has since been converted into offices (2006).

Reference from previous List description: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 13/6/1922.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.