History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1-7 (Odd Nos) Justice Street, Including Pend to Chapel Court

A Category B Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1487 / 57°8'55"N

Longitude: -2.092 / 2°5'31"W

OS Eastings: 394533

OS Northings: 806430

OS Grid: NJ945064

Mapcode National: GBR SDB.BC

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.VL02

Entry Name: 1-7 (Odd Nos) Justice Street, Including Pend to Chapel Court

Listing Date: 12 January 1967

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 355177

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20384

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Town: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Aberdeen

Description

Earlier 19th century. 3-storey and attic 6-bay Classical tenement building with shops to ground flanking central segmental-arched opening leading to Chapel Court. Grey granite ashlar, rubble to rear. Band course, cill course to 2nd storey, low stepped blocking course. Central archway with pilastered reveals, surmounted with iron urns and with decorative iron gates. Central coped wallhead stack to street elevation (S) with pair of small window openings. Pair of attic dormers. Recessed entrance doors to shops.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows to upper storeys, plate glass to shops. Grey slates. Coped gable stacks.

Statement of Interest

This is a good example of a Classical tenement, situated to the NE of the Castle Street area. It makes a significant contribution to the streetscape and adjoins nos 19-23 Castle Street (see separate listing). It is distinguished by its segmental-arched opening which leads into Chapel Court where St Peter's Roman Catholic Church of 1803 is situated (see separate listing). The simple Classical style is typical of granite buildings of this period before sophisticated cutting techniques were developed. This tenement was erected circa 1843, after the previous tenement on the site was pulled down by the then priest of the church, Charles Gordon in 1828 as part of general alterations and extensions required for the expanding St Peter's Church.

Reference from previous list description: Rev Charles Gordon's Minute Book.

Part of B Group with Nos 1-7 Justice Street, Nos 9-23, 31-35, 40-48, 51 and 52 (inclusive nos) Castle Street, and Salvation Army Citadel.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.