This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1511 / 57°9'3"N
Longitude: -2.0943 / 2°5'39"W
OS Eastings: 394390
OS Northings: 806696
OS Grid: NJ943066
Mapcode National: GBR SCZ.JN
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.SJW7
Entry Name: 143 and 145 King Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355195
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20391
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Mid 19th century. 2-storey and attic 3-bay Classical commercial and domestic building. Grey granite ashlar. Round-arched openings to ground. Timber panelled entrance doors with narrow pilastered jambs and fanlights above. Flat-roofed dormer.
12-pane timber sash and case windows to 1st storey. Plate glass to ground with some fanlight glazing above. Grey slate. Tall coped gable stacks, rising to meet adjoining buildings.
Built in a simple Classical style and retaining the original round arched ground floor openings and pilastered timber door jambs, this building forms part of the planned streetscape of King Street. The bold town planning which created Union Street and King Street was the defining gesture which allowed Aberdeen to develop from a contained medieval burgh to a rational modern city.
King Street developed after 1794, when a town council meeting asked the engineer Charles Abercrombie to find a way to connect the original steep, muddled Medieval streets of Aberdeen to the surrounding countryside. His plan was for two streets, one of which would run from Castlegate to the Denburn and the other which would run from the Castlegate to the North of the town. The latter was King Street. A competition for designs for this new street brought forward a design from Thomas Fletcher. This was to be a long classical façade, with a pedimented centrepiece and this design was begun on the East side in 1805. The idea of a standard, uniform terrace, however, was abandoned when negotiations had to be entered into with owners regarding the length of the frontages and the heights of the buildings. The West side, was to have followed a similar, uniform design, but again, this was abandoned and the buildings of King Street follow an essentially classical design with small variations between them.
Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.
Other nearby listed buildings