This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1488 / 57°8'55"N
Longitude: -2.0932 / 2°5'35"W
OS Eastings: 394459
OS Northings: 806437
OS Grid: NJ944064
Mapcode National: GBR SD4.L8
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TLF0
Entry Name: 20-26 (Even Nos) King Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355206
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20397
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Earlier 19th century. 3-storey and attic 4-bay Classical tenement with altered commercial premises to ground. Grey granite ashlar, channelled to entrance door to far left, rubble to rear. Cill courses, eaves cornice. Pedimented and piended dormers. Recessed pilastered doorpiece to far left with 4-panel timber entrance door with semi-circular fanlight above. Architraved and corniced windows at 1st storey.
Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows. Non-traditional plate glass to ground floor. Grey slate. Coped gable and wallhead stacks.
This tenement building with its restrained, classical style forms an essential component of the planned streetscape of King Street. The classical style was to dominate the planned early nineteenth century city of Aberdeen and this is a good example of the genre. The channelled treatment at the entrance door and the slight decoration to the 1st storey windows are confirmation of the variants that were incorporated into the essential unity of the streetscape design. An early print of 1840 suggests that the ground floor was originally arcaded and it is likely that it would all have been channelled. The bold town planning which created Union Street and King Street was the defining gesture which allowed Aberdeen to develop from an contained medieval burgh to rational modern city. This importance is recognised in the B Group designation for this first section of King Street.
King Street developed after 1794, when a town council meeting asked the engineer Charles Abercrombie to find a way to connect the original steep, muddled Medieval streets of Aberdeen to the surrounding countryside. His plan was for two streets, one of which would run from Castlegate to the Denburn and the other which would run from the Castlegate to the North of the town. The latter was King Street. A competition for designs for this new street brought forward a design from Thomas Fletcher. This was to be a long classical façade, with a pedimented centrepiece and higher end blocks. This design was begun on the East side in 1805, with the creation of nos 8-10 (see separate listing). The idea of a standard, uniform terrace, however, was abandoned when negotiations had to be entered into with owners regarding the length of the frontages and the heights of the buildings. It was then decided to allow some variations between designs, whilst keeping to the essential classical style.
Part of B Group with 5 Castle Street, Nos 1-56 (inclusive nos) King Street and St Andrews Episcopal Cathedral.
Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.
Other nearby listed buildings