History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

50-56 (Even Nos) King Street

A Category C Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1497 / 57°8'58"N

Longitude: -2.0934 / 2°5'36"W

OS Eastings: 394445

OS Northings: 806538

OS Grid: NJ944065

Mapcode National: GBR SD3.VP

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TK9B

Entry Name: 50-56 (Even Nos) King Street

Listing Date: 12 January 1967

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 355213

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20401

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Aberdeen

Description

Mid 19th century. 3-storey and attic 6 x 3-bay Classical tenement building with altered shops to ground, situated on prominent corner site with curved corner. Grey granite ashlar, rubble to rear. Band course, cill courses, eaves cornice and blocking course, upswept at corner. Round-arched opening to ground at far right with 4-panel timber entrance door with fanlight above. 6-panel timber door with narrow timber jambs and rectangular fanlight above. Piended and pedimented dormers.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Plate glass to shop fronts. Grey slates. Gable stacks.

Statement of Interest

This well-detailed, yet restrained classical tenement building with its distinctive curved corner and round-arched entrance opening, forms an essential component of the planned streetscape of King Street. Situated at a busy main junction, across from Aberdeen Arts Centre (see separate listing), this building contributes significantly to the streetscape of this early section of King Street. The classical style was to dominate the planned early nineteenth century city of Aberdeen and this is a good example of its type. The bold town planning which created Union Street and King Street was the defining gesture which allowed Aberdeen to develop from a contained medieval burgh to an rational modern city. This importance is recognised in the B Group designation for this first section of King Street.

King Street developed after 1794, when a town council meeting asked the engineer Charles Abercrombie to find a way to connect the original steep, muddled Medieval streets of Aberdeen to the surrounding countryside. His plan was for two streets, one of which would run from Castlegate to the Denburn and the other which would run from the Castlegate to the North of the town. The latter was King Street. A competition for designs for this new street brought forward a design from Thomas Fletcher. This was to be a long classical fa├žade, with a pedimented centrepiece and higher end blocks. This design was begun on the East side in 1805, with the creation of nos 8-10 (see separate listing). The idea of a standard, uniform terrace, however, was abandoned when negotiations had to be entered into with owners regarding the length of the frontages and the heights of the buildings. It was then decided to allow some variations between designs, whilst keeping to the essential classical style.

Part of B Group with 5 Castle Street, Nos 1-56 (inclusive nos) King Street and St Andrews Episcopal Cathedral.

Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.