This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1501 / 57°9'0"N
Longitude: -2.0935 / 2°5'36"W
OS Eastings: 394438
OS Northings: 806588
OS Grid: NJ944065
Mapcode National: GBR SD3.48
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TJ8Z
Entry Name: 82-96 (Even Nos) King Street and 2-8 (Even Nos) Frederick Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355214
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20402
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Before 1828 (see Notes). 3-storey and attic, 9 and 8 bay Classical tenement row, situated on corner site with shops to ground and with principal elevation to King Street (W). Distinctive triangular cyma recta detail above entrance at corner to N. Coursed granite rubble. Eaves band. Continuous timber consoled fascia above shops, separated by 4 and 6-panel timber entrance doors leading to flats above. Segmental arched pend opening to N elevation. Later attic dormers.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows with later plate glass to shops. Grey slates. Raised skews, coped gable and ridge stacks.
This Classical row of tenements is one of the earliest to be built on King Street and is a good example of its type. It was constructed between 1794 when King Street was planned and 1828 when it appears on John Wood's plan of Aberdeen. The continuous consoled timber fascia to the shopfronts is an unusual survival. The cyma recta detail is a typical Aberdeen feature. With its restrained, classical style, the row forms an essential component for the planned streetscape of King Street. The classical style was to dominate the planned early nineteenth century city of Aberdeen. The bold town planning which created Union Street and King Street was the defining gesture which allowed Aberdeen to develop from an contained Medieval Burgh to a modern developing classical city.
King Street developed after 1794, when a town council meeting asked the engineer Charles Abercrombie to find a way to connect the original steep, muddled Medieval streets of Aberdeen to the surrounding countryside. His plan was for two streets, one of which would run from Castlegate to the Denburn and the other which would run from the Castlegate to the North of the town. The latter was King Street. A competition for designs for this new street brought forward a design from Thomas Fletcher. This was to be a long classical façade, with a pedimented centrepiece and higher end blocks. This design was begun on the East side in 1805, with the creation of nos 8-10 (see separate listing). The idea of a standard, uniform terrace, however, was abandoned when negotiations had to be entered into with owners regarding the length of the frontages and the heights of the buildings. It was then decided to allow some variations between designs, whilst keeping to the essential classical style.
Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.
Other nearby listed buildings