This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1471 / 57°8'49"N
Longitude: -2.1364 / 2°8'10"W
OS Eastings: 391846
OS Northings: 806253
OS Grid: NJ918062
Mapcode National: GBR S61.1R
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.4MYB
Plus Code: 9C9V4VW7+RF
Entry Name: 54 King's Gate, Atholl Hotel, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 19 March 1984
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355226
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20413
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midstocket/Rosemount
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Later 19th century; addition Brown and Watt, 1895; later additions and alterations. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay baronial house, with gothic 4-bay addition. Tooled granite ashlar with finely finished margins. Base course; sloping cills; chamfered reveals to 1880s addition; eaves course; overhanging eaves with timber bargeboards.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; segmental-arched, stop-chamfered doorway with keystone detail, 2-leaf glazed timber door with fanlight; balcony on corbelled brackets to bipartite window above with crenellated parapet; single windows with scrolled cill set in crowstepped gable of attic floor; window to ground floor of flanking bay to left; angle turret with 2 windows and ogee roof to 1st floor angle, decorative ironwork finial; 3-light canted window to ground floor of flanking bay to right corbelled to form bow at 1st floor, eaves cornice, 3 gableted windows in conical roof with iron finial. 1880s addition adjoining to right, link bay with bipartite window to ground floor and cusped round-arched bipartite to 1st floor; 3-bay gabled block to outer right with bipartite windows to ground floor, blind tracery band course above, round arched cusped bipartite windows to 1st floor with moulded shafts rising from centre through attic floor breaking eaves to form delicate pinnacles; quadripartite window centred in gablehead of attic floor, with moulded shaft astragals, large moulded shafts terminating in pinnacles breaking eaves to outer left and right, scrolled stone finial to apex.
E ELEVATION: obscured by 1880s additions. Asymmetrical; 2-bay; modern flat-roofed porch advanced to ground floor of bay to left, canted bay to 1st floor above, with round-arched stained glass windows to left and right; oriel window to 1st floor of bay to right, on triangular corbels, stained glass upper sashes, small window breaking eaves to attic floor above. Harled 20th century addition adjoining to outer right.
N ELEVATION: lower floors obscured by 20th century additions. Gabled 1880's bay to left with window to right of 1st floor; slate-hung 2-bay attic floor infill flanking wallhead stack to bays to right, bipartite window to each bay.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled; bipartite windows to centre of ground and 1st floors, window flanking to left, turret adjoining to outer right (see above).
Predominantly 2-pane and 4-pane timber sash and case windows, casement and timber windows with top hoppers to 1880s addition. Grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped stone skews with blocked skewputts. Coped gablehead and wallhead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: 2 square-plan gatepiers with bands of bull-faced and dressed granite, corniced with ogee caps and spherical finials; low granite walls stepped with slope of road flanking to left and right; granite coped Aberdeen bond walls to N, E and W.
The Atholl Hotel was originally a baronial style house with turrets and crowstepped gables, a building style found frequently in the W end of Aberdeen. The gabled addition to the E by Brown and Watt is described by Brogden as "a dry-run for Marischal College" (p144). It has been suggested that the addition was by Pirie and Clyne, it boasts very little of their distinctive detailing, but the oriel window on the E elevation, is almost identical to some of the windows on their Hamilton Place buildings and that at 50 Queen's Road (see separate listings), so it seems likely Brown and Watt looked to them for inspiration.
Other nearby listed buildings