This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1477 / 57°8'51"N
Longitude: -2.0931 / 2°5'35"W
OS Eastings: 394463
OS Northings: 806321
OS Grid: NJ944063
Mapcode National: GBR SD5.9X
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TLGT
Entry Name: 5-9 (Odd Nos) Marischal Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355247
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20423
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Later 18th century (See Notes). 3-storey with attic and basement, 5-bay classical townhouse with later public house to ground floor on sloping site. Loanhead granite ashlar with raised margins; moulded eaves course; regular fenestration to 1st and 2nd floors. Central 5-light box dormer in mansarded roof. Ground floor public house with symmetrical frontage; stugged ashlar basecourse; large tripartite fixed pane windows flanking recessed 2-leaf door; further recessed entrance at far left.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Ashlar coped skews at right gable; large granite ashlar ridge stack with later red brick upper section; clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: Blackfriars Public House (formerly The Royal Oak) occupies ground and 1st floor of 1-3 and 5-9 Marischal Street. 19th century gantry with later additions and alterations.
Marischal Street (designed by William Law, 1767) is arguably the most significant example of Georgian town planning in Aberdeen. The refined classical styling of Nos 5-9 contributes much to the predominantly unaltered character of the Street's lengthy run. The building was constructed between 1767, when plans for the street were first laid out, and 1789, where the Northerly end of the street is shown as complete on Alexander Milne's map of that date.
Formed on the site of the Earl Marischal's lodging and linking Castlegate with the Harbour below, Marischal Street is carried on embankments down a partly vaulted incline. It is the earliest example of this type of construction in Aberdeen, anticipating the larger scale developments at Union Street and Edinburgh's South Bridge by almost 20 years. Originally having a fine granite bridge half-way down, this was demolished along with Nos 36-39 and replaced with a wider span granite bridge to allow for the broadening of Virginia Street below.
The buildings occupying the Southern half of the street are attributed to William Smith (d.1812), father of John Smith (the renowned Aberdeen architect b.1781) and are generally grander and more varied. The street as a whole retains much of its original character despite the gradual move away from domestic to commercial ownership throughout 19th century. It is thought to be the first street in Aberdeen paved with square granite sets.
Part of A Group with 3-60 (Inclusive Nos) Marischal Street.
Other nearby listed buildings