History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

41-45 (Odd Nos) Marischal Street

A Category B Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.147 / 57°8'49"N

Longitude: -2.0921 / 2°5'31"W

OS Eastings: 394525

OS Northings: 806234

OS Grid: NJ945062

Mapcode National: GBR SD9.MR

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TMYF

Entry Name: 41-45 (Odd Nos) Marischal Street

Listing Date: 12 January 1967

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 355253

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20429

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Town: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Aberdeen

Description

Later 18th century (see Notes). 2-storey with attic; 5-bay classical townhouse on sloping site. Loanhead granite ashlar with raised margins. Moulded eaves course. Timber door to central bay with lugged and moulded architrave. Timber door to No 41 flanked by fixed 16-pane windows. Rectangular fanlights above doors to Nos 43 and 45. Single canted tripartite dormer to far right.

12-pane timber sash and case windows to first floor. Grey slates; ashlar skews; coped ridge stack with granite ashlar to street and red brick to rear; clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Interest

Marischal Street (designed by William Law, 1767) is of considerable historic interest in terms of the early development of Classical Aberdeen. The simple classical styling of Nos 41-45 forms a significant part of the streets lengthy run, contributing to its refined character. The building was constructed at some point between 1767, when plans for the street were laid out, and 1789 when Alexander Milnes' map shows that the East side of the street was completed by that date.

Formed on the site of the Earl Marischal's lodging and linking Castlegate with the Harbour below, Marischal Street is carried on embankments down a partly vaulted incline. It is the earliest example of this type of construction in Aberdeen, anticipating the larger scale development of Union Street and Edinburgh's South Bridge by 20 years. Originally having a fine granite bridge half way down, this was demolished and replaced in 1983 along with adjacent Nos 36-38 and 37-39 to allow the widening of Virginia Street below.

The buildings occupying the Southern half of the street are attributed to William Smith (d.1812), father of John Smith (the renowned Aberdeen architect - b.1781) and are generally grander and more varied. The street as a whole retains much of its refinement and original character despite the gradual move from domestic to commercial ownership throughout 19th century. It is thought to be the first street in Aberdeen paved with square granite sets.

Part of A Group with 3-60 (Inclusive Nos) Marischal Street.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.