This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1469 / 57°8'48"N
Longitude: -2.092 / 2°5'31"W
OS Eastings: 394532
OS Northings: 806225
OS Grid: NJ945062
Mapcode National: GBR SDB.C1
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.VM0H
Entry Name: Marischal Street, 47
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355254
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20430
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Later 18th century (see Notes). 2-storey with attic and basement, 5-bay classical townhouse on sloping site. Loanhead granite ashlar with raised margins; eaves band and projecting cornice. Timber door to central bay with elaborate fanlight above; lugged and roll-moulded surround. Pair of small triangular pedimented dormers.
12-pane timber sash and case windows to ground and first floors. Fixed-pane windows with glazing bars to basement. Grey slate. Ashlar skews; coped stack with ashlar to street elevation and red brick to rear; clay cans.
Marischal Street (designed by William Law, 1767) is of considerable historic interest in terms of the early development of Classical Aberdeen. The fine proportions of No 47 forms a significant part of the streets lengthy run.. The building was constructed at some point between 1767, when plans for the street were laid out, and 1789 when Alexander Milnes' map shows that the East side of the street was completed by that date.
Formed on the site of the Earl Marischal's lodging and linking Castlegate with the Harbour below, Marischal Street is carried on embankments down a partly vaulted incline. It is the earliest example of this type of construction in Aberdeen, anticipating the larger scale development of Union Street and Edinburgh's South Bridge by 20 years. Originally having a fine granite bridge half way down, this was demolished and replaced in 1983 along with adjacent Nos 36-38 and 37-39 to allow the widening of Virginia Street below.
The buildings occupying the Southern half of the street are attributed to William Smith (d.1812), father of John Smith (the renowned Aberdeen architect - b.1781) and are generally grander and more varied. The street as a whole retains much of its refinement and original character despite the gradual move from domestic to commercial ownership throughout 19th century. It is thought to be the first street in Aberdeen paved with square granite sets.
Part of A Group with 3-60 (Inclusive Nos) Marischal Street.
Other nearby listed buildings