This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1468 / 57°8'48"N
Longitude: -2.0919 / 2°5'30"W
OS Eastings: 394540
OS Northings: 806212
OS Grid: NJ945062
Mapcode National: GBR SDC.2B
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.VM2K
Entry Name: 49-53 (Odd Nos) Marischal Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355255
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20431
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Later 18th century (see Notes). 2-storey with attic, 3-bay townhouse on sloping site. Grey granite ashlar with eaves band Central timber door with box light flanked by further box lit double-leaf doors; multi-glazed fixed pane windows to outer bays. Pair of canted box dormers to single pitched roof. 3-storey to rear (Shore Lane)
12-pane timber sash and case windows to first floor. Irregular fenestration to rear with arched windows at ground floor. Grey slate. Ashlar skew to right; coped ridge stack with granite ashlar to street elevation and red brick to rear; clay cans.
Marischal Street (designed by William Law, 1767) is of considerable historic interest in terms of the early development of Classical Aberdeen. The design of Nos 49-53 is plainer than the other buildings that make up the Street's lengthy run, accounting for its C(S) category. It's early date and characteristic form nevertheless makes a valuable contribution to the streetscape. The building was constructed at some point between 1767, when plans for the street were laid out, and 1789 when Alexander Milnes' map shows that the East side of the street was completed by that date.
Formed on the site of the Earl Marischal's lodging and linking Castlegate with the Harbour below, Marischal Street is carried on embankments down a partly vaulted incline. It is the earliest example of this type of construction in Aberdeen, anticipating the larger scale development of Union Street and Edinburgh's South Bridge by 20 years. Originally having a fine granite bridge half way down, this was demolished and replaced in 1983 along with adjacent Nos 36-38 and 37-39 to allow the widening of Virginia Street below.
The buildings occupying the Southern half of the street are attributed to William Smith (d.1812), father of John Smith (the renowned Aberdeen architect - b.1781) and are generally grander and more varied. The street as a whole retains much of its refinement and original character despite the gradual move from domestic to commercial ownership throughout 19th century. It is thought to be the first street in Aberdeen paved with square granite sets.
Part of A Group with 3-60 (Inclusive Nos) Marischal Street.
Other nearby listed buildings