This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1474 / 57°8'50"N
Longitude: -2.0931 / 2°5'35"W
OS Eastings: 394462
OS Northings: 806284
OS Grid: NJ944062
Mapcode National: GBR SD5.B1
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TMG2
Entry Name: 16-20 (Even Nos) Marischal Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355258
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20434
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Later 18th Century (see Notes). 3-storey with attic; 5-bay symmetrical classical townhouse with shops to ground, sitiated on sloping site. Loanhead granite ashlar with raised margins; moulded cornice. 3 Timber doorways to central bays with rectangular fanlights above. Large fixed-pane windows at outer bays; Bracketed timber fascia between ground and 1st floor.
12-pane timber sash and case windows at first and second floors. 3-window mansarded attic dormer. Grey slates; ashlar coped skew at left gable; coped granite ashlar stack; clay cans.
INTERIOR: Partly seen (2006). Commercial premises at Nos 16 and 20. Upper floor flats accessed at No 18.
Marischal Street (designed by William Law, 1767) is of considerable historic interest in terms of the early development of Classical Aberdeen. The simple classical styling of Nos 10-14 forms a significant part of the Street's lengthy run, contributing to its refined character. The building was constructed at some point between 1767, when plans for the street were laid out, and 1789, when Alexander Milnes' map shows that the North half of the street was completed by that date.
Formed on the site of the Earl Marischal's lodging and linking Castlegate with the Harbour below, Marischal Street is carried on embankments down a partly vaulted incline. It is the earliest example of this type of construction in Aberdeen, anticipating the larger scale development of Union Street and Edinburgh's South Bridge by 20 years. Originally having a fine granite bridge half way down, this was demolished and replaced in 1983 along with adjacent Nos 36-38 and 37-39 to allow the widening of Virginia Street below.
The buildings occupying the Southern half of the street are attributed to William Smith (d.1812), father of John Smith (the renowned Aberdeen architect - b.1781) and are generally grander and more varied. The street as a whole retains much of its refinement and original character despite the gradual move from domestic to commercial ownership throughout 19th century. It is thought to be the first street in Aberdeen paved with square granite sets.
Part of A Group with 3-60 (Inclusive Nos) Marischal Street.
Other nearby listed buildings