This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1472 / 57°8'49"N
Longitude: -2.0928 / 2°5'34"W
OS Eastings: 394480
OS Northings: 806260
OS Grid: NJ944062
Mapcode National: GBR SD6.1C
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TML7
Entry Name: 34, 34a Marischal Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355261
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20437
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Circa 1790-1821. 3-storey with attic; 5-bay symmetrical classical townhouse on sloping site. Grey granite ashlar with raised cills; moulded double eaves band returning to south facing gable; moulded cornice. Central panelled timber door with rectangular fanlight above. Further recessed timber door to far left with dentilled architrave and 3-panel rectangular fanlight. 2 canted and piended dormers to street elevation
12-pane timber sash and case windows throughout; regular fenestration to upper storeys; gable end windowed at far left. Grey slates. Ridge stack to right with ashlar facing to street and red brick to rear; clay cans. Coped ashlar stack and skew to gable end. Recessed rain water goods. 5-storey to rear with regular fenestration. Later, harled 5-storey outshot to central bay with piended roof.
INTERIOR: Unseen (2006)
The well-proportioned classical styling of Nos 34 and 34A forms a significant part of Marischal Street's lengthy run, contributing to its refined character. Built between 1789 (Alexander Milne's 1789 map) and 1821 where it can be seen on John Woods map of that year. The south facing gable and ground floor stonework were constructed from granite salvaged from No 36 - 40, demolished in the early 1980's. Rougher masonry has been utilised below the line of the bridge.
Marischal Street (designed by William Law, 1767) is of great historic interest in terms of the early development of Classical Aberdeen. Formed on the site of the Earl Marischal's lodging and linking Castlegate with the Harbour below, Marischal Street is carried on embankments down a partly vaulted incline. It is the earliest example of this type of construction in Aberdeen, anticipating the larger scale development of Union Street and Edinburgh's South Bridge by 20 years. Originally having a fine granite bridge half way down, this was demolished and replaced in 1983 along with adjacent Nos 36-40 and 37-39 to allow the widening of Virginia Street below. The massive S facing gable of No 34 and 34A was constructed from fabric taken from the demolished buildings.
The buildings occupying the Southern half of the street are attributed to William Smith (d.1812), father of John Smith (the renowned Aberdeen architect - b.1781) and are generally grander and more varied. The street as a whole retains much of its original character despite the gradual move from domestic to commercial ownership throughout 19th century. It is thought to be the first street in Aberdeen paved with square granite sets.
Part of A Group with 3-60 (Inclusive Nos) Marischal Street.
Other nearby listed buildings