This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1464 / 57°8'47"N
Longitude: -2.0965 / 2°5'47"W
OS Eastings: 394260
OS Northings: 806172
OS Grid: NJ942061
Mapcode National: GBR SCP.7Z
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.RMWV
Entry Name: 21 and 23 Market Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355271
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20446
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
William Smith, 1858-9. 3-storey and attic, 5-bay symmetrical classical former Bank building (currently commercial premises, 2006). Consoled balustraded balconies to entrance doors at outer bays. Grey granite ashlar, channelled at ground, raised margins to upper storeys. Cill courses. Deep dentilled cornice. Balustraded parapet. Pedimented dormers. 3 central deepset windows to ground. 1st storey with aprons and raised cornices to windows.
Predominately 4-pane timber sash and case windows with wide astragals. Grey slates.
INTERIOR: comprehensively modernised (2006).
Built as a branch of the City of Glasgow Bank, this is a well-detailed classical building which makes a positive contribution to the streetscape. The balustraded balconies and parapet are distinctive features which, together with the other classical detailing, mark the building out from the more restrained classical style of the surrounding buildings. The building now contains commercial premises (2006).
William Smith (1817-1891) was the son of John Smith, who was responsible for many of the early nineteenth century classical buildings in Aberdeen City. Based primarily in Aberdeen, William Smith had a prolific output, but is perhaps most well known for designing Balmoral Castle for Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.
Market Street was laid out in 1840 by the architect Archibald Simpson, who had designed many of the classical buildings in the expanding nineteenth century Aberdeen. With John Smith, he was responsible for much of the essential classical character of Aberdeen city. Aberdeen expanded greatly during the nineteenth century, especially in trade reliant on the Harbour, and this street was built to provide easier access from Union Street to the Harbour. It also cleared a notorious slum area of the city called Putachieside. It took its name from a covered indoor market, designed by Archibald Simpson in 1842, but which subsequently burnt down in 1882. Rebuilt in 1884, the market was replaced by a British Home Stores extension in 1971.
Other nearby listed buildings