This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1462 / 57°8'46"N
Longitude: -2.0959 / 2°5'45"W
OS Eastings: 394292
OS Northings: 806149
OS Grid: NJ942061
Mapcode National: GBR SCS.42
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.SN30
Entry Name: 43 and 45 Market Street, the Douglas Hotel
Listing Date: 14 October 1982
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355272
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20447
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1848 core. James Souttar, late 19th century alterations and extensions. Marshall Mackenzie & Son, 1937, upper storey addition and front façade. 4-storey and attic, 12-bay hotel on sloping corner site, now largely Art-Deco in appearance. Grey granite ashlar. Base course, band courses. Moulded arrises to ground windows. Central entrance bay with canted, recessed door. Recessed moulded copper panel above rising to top storey with moulded balconies to metal-framed windows and tall wallhead parapet above. Later extensions to rear. Moulded cyma recta detail to corner.
Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows with horns to upper storeys. Plate glass to ground with timber glazing bars. Metal casement windows above entrance. Grey slates. Wallhead and ridge stacks.
INTERIOR: comprehensively modernised (2006).
Buildings in the Art Deco style are rare in Aberdeen and the fine central copper panel here marks it out as a distinctive part of the streetscape.
The original core of the building is difficult to detect, as the later changes, in both the 19th and 20th centuries have apparently eclipsed them. The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map indicates a Hotel at the Southern corner of this building, but it is the 2nd Edition map which shows the footprint of the building as it stands currently.
James Souttar (1840-1922) was born in London and articled to Mackenzie and Mathews in Aberdeen from 1852-1860. He then travelled extensively throughout Europe, living for some time in Sweden. He settled in Aberdeen from 1866 and his output include various work within the City, including the Carmelite Hotel and the Salvation Army Citadel (see separate listings).
The architectural practice of Marshall Mackenzie and Sons (1902-1960) was a successful practice, with offices in both Aberdeen and London. Established by the designs of A. Marshall Mackenzie, the output of the practice included buildings, such as the Waldorf Hotel in London. The works were largely, although not exclusively, based in Aberdeen or London. A. Marshall Mackenzie himself was responsible for the Broad Street elevation of Marischal College in Aberdeen (see separate listing).
Market Street was laid out in 1840 by the architect Archibald Simpson, who had designed many of the classical buildings in the expanding nineteenth century Aberdeen. With John Smith, he was responsible for much of the essential classical character of Aberdeen city. Aberdeen expanded greatly during the nineteenth century, especially in trade reliant on the Harbour, and this street was built to provide easier access from Union Street to the Harbour. It also cleared a notorious slum area of the city called Putachieside. It took its name from a covered indoor market, designed by Archibald Simpson in 1842 and located on the West side of the street, but which subsequently burnt down in 1882. Rebuilt in 1884, this market was replaced by a British Home Stores extension in 1971.
Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.
Other nearby listed buildings