History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

43, 44 and 45 Regent Quay

A Category C Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1466 / 57°8'47"N

Longitude: -2.0904 / 2°5'25"W

OS Eastings: 394630

OS Northings: 806192

OS Grid: NJ946061

Mapcode National: GBR SDK.JQ

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.VMRQ

Entry Name: 43, 44 and 45 Regent Quay

Listing Date: 12 January 1967

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 355294

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20464

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Town: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Aberdeen

Description

Later 18th century. 3-storey and attic, 3-bay Classical commercial and residential building with fine balustraded cills, moulded margins and cornicing at 1st floor openings. Grey granite ashlar with raised margins at 2nd floor. Later public house frontage to ground with polished ashlar verticals and stall risers, fixed-pane glazing pattern and door to far left. Later 3-light mansarded attic dormer.

12-pane timber sash and case windows; grey slate; Brick gable end stacks; clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Interest

An early example of a commercial building at Regent Quay, notable for its interesting Classical detailing at 1st floor. Ornamentation such as the balustrading and cornicing is rare on these early buildings which are characterised by their simplicity and carefully planned proportions. As such, these details may have been added at a slightly later date. The ground floor has a long history serving as a watering hole for sailors, although the present Public House has a non-traditional exterior. The building looks out over the harbour and offers a significant contribution to Regent Quay's refined and varied late 18th and early 19th century run.

The harbour at Aberdeen accounts for the city's prosperity, representing the key to its history. Development of Aberdeen Harbour gathered momentum from the late 18th century when the physical restrictions caused by the shallow depth of the Dee estuary became problematic for increasingly heavy trade. In the 18th century, the Shiprow quayside was greatly increased forming the terrace which was to become Regent Quay. The 18th century buildings that line Regents Quay originally looked out over the sands and tributaries of the Dee, before the construction of Vicoria Dock (1848). John Wood's map of 1810 shows the location for the intended wet dock, running the length of the as yet unnamed Trinity, Regent and Waterloo quays, all designed by renowned engineer Thomas Telford during the 1840's.

Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.