This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1466 / 57°8'47"N
Longitude: -2.09 / 2°5'23"W
OS Eastings: 394652
OS Northings: 806195
OS Grid: NJ946061
Mapcode National: GBR SDL.Z7
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.VMYP
Entry Name: 49 and 51 Regent Quay
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355296
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20466
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Later 18th century. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay Classical building on corner site with distinctive Venetian windows to outer bays of 1st floor with recessed aprons. Squared and coursed rubble with raised ashlar margins and moulded eaves cornice. Slightly recessed central timber doorpiece to S elevation with pilastered jambs and 6-panel 2-leaf timber door with decorative rectangular fanlight with vertical glazing pattern above. 6-panel 2-leaf timber door (No 51) at chamfered SE corner angle, corbelled out to 1st floor. Pair of canted, tripartite piended roof dormers; small attic window at E gable end.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Grey slate. Squared rubble gable stacks; clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
Nos 49 and 51 is an distinguished part of the run of refined and varied late 18th and early 19th century architecture that line this section of Regent Quay. The 1st floor Venetian Windows are an unusual device and suggest that the principal rooms were on the 1st floor, which would have offered a good view of the harbour. It retains a decorative timber doorpiece and fanlight and is a significant part of the streescape. Its corner location and wide proportions set it apart from other buildings in this part of Aberdeen.
The harbour at Aberdeen accounts for the city's prosperity, representing the key to its history. Development of Aberdeen Harbour gathered momentum from the late 18th century when the physical restrictions caused by the shallow depth of the Dee estuary became problematic for increasingly heavy trade. In the 18th century, the Shiprow quayside was greatly increased forming the terrace which was to become Regent Quay. The 18th century buildings that line Regents Quay originally looked out over the sands and tributaries of the Dee, before the construction of Vicoria Dock (1848). John Wood's map of 1810 shows the location for the intended wet dock, running the length of the as yet unnamed Trinity, Regent and Waterloo quays, all designed by renowned engineer Thomas Telford during the 1840's.
Other nearby listed buildings