This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1477 / 57°8'51"N
Longitude: -2.1011 / 2°6'3"W
OS Eastings: 393980
OS Northings: 806318
OS Grid: NJ939063
Mapcode National: GBR SC1.48
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.PLNV
Entry Name: 61 Schoolhill, Former James Dun's House
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355370
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20483
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Possibly by William Law, 1769, (see Notes). 5-bay, 2-storey with basement and attic symmetrical Classical townhouse with lying-pane glazing. Grey granite ashlar; mixed granite dressings; slightly raised margins; architraved central doorway. Smaller piended-roof dormer flanked by pair of larger, canted dormers. Building now recessed from existing street line with paved area and low wall to front; cast-iron railings with central arch and lantern. Shouldered attic gable to rear elevation flanked by canted dormers. Later, single-storey glass extension to rear.
Lying-pane timber sash and case windows with horns. Grey slate; stepped roof. Broad stack to right gable; ridge stacks elsewhere; coped ashlar skews and skewputs. Cast iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: Altered, 1994. Fine central curving staircase to all floors; cast-iron banisters and hardwood hand-rail. Stone stair to basement; granite flagstones to basement floor. Sections of corbelled-out wall to rear of original building exposed within glass extension.
No 61 Schoolhill is one of the earliest buildings to survive on Schoolhill. Originally one of a terrace of three similar houses, its simple Classical style and seemingly diminutive proportions are somewhat overshadowed by the later, taller and more exuberant buildings that surround it. The later buildings made use of 19th century granite cutting techniques and now make up the character of the street. No 61 is further distinguished by being set back from its neighbours and it retains much of the character of an early townhouse. The lying pane glazing is particularly unusual in this area of Aberdeen.
Built for James Dun, a former Rector of the Grammar School which originally stood immediately opposite. W A Brogden, Author of 'Aberdeen, An Illustrated Guide' suggests the architect may have been William Law, designer of Marischal Street. Following the 'rig plan' of the late 18th century, No 61 originally had long garden plot to rear.
Other nearby listed buildings