This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1657 / 57°9'56"N
Longitude: -2.1028 / 2°6'10"W
OS Eastings: 393880
OS Northings: 808325
OS Grid: NJ938083
Mapcode National: GBR SBS.R7
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.N5V0
Entry Name: 4 Thom's Place (Also Known As 6 Thom's Place), Old Aberdeen
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355419
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20512
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Tillydrone/Seaton/Old Aberdeen
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
19th century. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, symmetrical house, W gable abutted to pair of cottages. Coursed rubble granite, harled to gables. Central entrance. Gable with stack and windows to left at ground and 1st floor. Timber sash and case windows. Pantiled, pitched roof; attic windows to N pitch.
Good example of 19th century dwelling in Aberdeen, whose design, particularly the plan form, exterior profile and window disposition, is characteristic of later 18th and early 19th century Scottish burgh architecture and building methods. The property forms part of a group of good traditional terraced buildings in Thom's Place (see separate listings).
The Y-shaped street plan of Old Aberdeen High Street dates to the medieval period. The long narrow plots to the rear of properties either side of the High Street are part of this earlier burgh settlement pattern. Plots were historically developed with closely knit housing, linked by narrow wynds and closes. Between the late 18th and mid 19th century, the properties on Thom's Place were built on the ribbon of land to the rear of 65 High Street. The irregularity of the street evidences the earlier medieval street pattern of Old Aberdeen, and is a rare surviving example of burgh rig development.
The medieval street pattern of Old Aberdeen, survives largely intact because the area was saved from the development pressure by the construction of the new Bridge of Don in 1830. This resulted in the area effectively being bypassed when the city was expanding. The survival of the settlement pattern and later 18th century buildings as well as the limited range of building materials, in particular granite, which is used for buildings, walls and paving, unifies the whole area.
Property known as 4 Thom's Place, but recorded as 6 Thom's Place on Aberdeen City Council Ordnance Survey records.
Statutory address, description and category changed from B to C in 2013. Formerly listed as "Thom's Place, 8 High Street, Old Aberdeen"
Other nearby listed buildings