This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1657 / 57°9'56"N
Longitude: -2.103 / 2°6'10"W
OS Eastings: 393869
OS Northings: 808321
OS Grid: NJ938083
Mapcode National: GBR SBR.9Q
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.N5S1
Entry Name: 6 Thom's Place (Also Known As 10 and 12 Thom's Place), Elphinstone Road
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355420
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20513
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Tillydrone/Seaton/Old Aberdeen
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Late 18th century with 19th century attic. Single storey with later attic, pair of cottages with stepped roof; late 20th century remodelled to form single dwelling; part of a terraced row of traditional houses; gable end to Elphinstone Road. Rendered. Entrance off-centre to right of S (Thom's Place) elevation, flanked by windows; further window to right. Gable with window to left and end stack. Rubble wall with rubble cope and gate adjoined to N elevation.
Predominantly multi-paned timber sash and case windows. Pitched, pantiled roof with slate easing course; catslide dormers with slate roof and cheeks. Shouldered skews.
INTERIOR: (seen 2012) remodelled into a single dwelling in the late 20th century.
Previously two separate dwellings now merged to form one single property. The property forms part of a group of traditional terraced buildings in Thom's Place (see separate listings). The design of these buildings, particularly their plan form, exterior profile and window disposition, are characteristic of later 18th and early 19th century Scottish burgh architecture and building methods. The building has good streetscape presence with the gable end projecting onto the pavement at Elphinstone Road. This also evidences its earlier date in comparison to the adjacent 19th century town house, the building line of which is set back.
The Y-shaped street plan of Old Aberdeen High Street dates to the medieval period. The long narrow plots to the rear of properties either side of the High Street are part of this earlier burgh settlement pattern. Plots were historically developed with closely knit housing, linked by narrow wynds and closes. Between the late 18th and mid 19th century, the properties on Thom's Place were built on the ribbon of land to the rear of 65 High Street. The irregularity of the street evidences the earlier medieval street pattern of Old Aberdeen, and is a rare surviving example of burgh rig development.
The medieval street pattern of Old Aberdeen, survives largely intact because the area was saved from the development pressure by the construction of the new Bridge of Don in 1830. This resulted in the area effectively being bypassed when the city was expanding. The survival of the settlement pattern and later 18th century buildings as well as the limited range of building materials, in particular granite, which is used for buildings, walls and paving, unifies the whole area.
Property known as 6 Thom's Place, but recorded as 10 and 12 Thom's Place on Aberdeen City Council Ordnance Survey records.
Statutory address, description and category changed from B to C in 2013. Formerly listed as "Old Aberdeen, High Street, 10, 12 Thom's Place".
Other nearby listed buildings