This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1448 / 57°8'41"N
Longitude: -2.1045 / 2°6'16"W
OS Eastings: 393777
OS Northings: 805999
OS Grid: NJ937059
Mapcode National: GBR SBK.2W
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.NP21
Plus Code: 9C9V4VVW+W6
Entry Name: 207-219 Union Street (Odd Numbers) including The Grill and 3 Dee Street, Aberdeen
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Last Amended: 12 October 2018
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355456
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20532
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Further Description: symmetrical principal elevation to north with regular fenestration at first and second floors. Ground floor with deep-set, two-leaf, part-glazed timber door and semicircular fanlight at centre; Number 213 immediately to right comprising three-bay shopfront of bronze panels and frosted glass with classical swag decoration to flanking pilasters and frieze with centre fascia; arcading retained at outer shop fronts.
Largely four-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with some cans; ashlar-coped skews.
Number 213, The Grill, Interior: little altered Jenkins and Marr interior incorporates exceptional plasterwork to shallow vaulted ceiling defining long narrow bar with and small circular space divided by broad segmental arch; walls panelled with mahogany veneer. Mahogany doors, gantry and bar counter, gantry has three decoratively-astragalled display cabinets, that to centre with segmental pediment; counter has plaques with relief carved letter G , and brass match strikers. Leather covered banquettes line wall opposite bar.
This typical Aberdeen tenement, situated on a principal city centre street has undergone some alteration at ground level, but retains a remarkably fine example of the work of local architectural practice Jenkins & Marr who were based at 16 Bridge Street in Aberdeen. By 1921 Harbourne Maclennan was the sole partner of Jenkins and Marr, having retained the practice name.
List description updated as part of Public Houses Thematic Study 2007-8.
Statutory address revised in 2018. Previously listed as Union Street, 207-219 (Odd Numbers) including The Grill .
Other nearby listed buildings