History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

478-484 (Even Numbers) Union Street

A Category C Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1433 / 57°8'35"N

Longitude: -2.1114 / 2°6'40"W

OS Eastings: 393359

OS Northings: 805827

OS Grid: NJ933058

Mapcode National: GBR S9K.YL

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.JQT7

Entry Name: 478-484 (Even Numbers) Union Street

Listing Date: 4 November 1981

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 355519

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20572

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Town: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: Midstocket/Rosemount

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Aberdeen

Description

John Smith, 1830; reconstructed circa 1900; No 484 converted for British Linen Bank, Dick Peddie, Todd and Jamieson, 1937. 4-storey, 3-bay former cistern, converted to tenement. Coursed granite ashlar. Channelled rustication to ground floor; bipartite windows to 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors; 3rd floor band course and projecting cornice above cill level; eaves cornice and blocking course.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 4-light window to centre of ground floor, flanked by left and right by advanced doorways, 2-leaf panelled timber doors with tall letterbox fanlights; modern shop front to right of ground floor, 5-light window to left; 2 pairs of giant pilasters flanking central bay to 1st and 2nd floors, rising to break eaves with block pediment between; regular fenestration to 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors.

NE AND SW ELEVATIONS: obscured by adjoining terraces.

NW ELEVATION: not seen 2000.

2-pane timber sash and case windows. Roof material not seen 2000. Coped stone skews. Gablehead stacks with octagonal cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 2000.

Statement of Interest

478-484 Union Street was originally built as the cistern for Aberdeen by John Smith (1781-1852). It was essentially a giant tank, designed to look like a tenement. Circa 1900 it was converted into a tenement. No 484 at ground floor, became the "West End Branch" of the British Linen Bank. The shopfront was remodelled by Dick Peddie, Todd and Jamieson in 1937. 478-484 is now predominantly in commercial use.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.