This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1355 / 57°8'7"N
Longitude: -2.1047 / 2°6'16"W
OS Eastings: 393760
OS Northings: 804960
OS Grid: NJ937049
Mapcode National: GBR SBJ.GZ
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.MXY7
Entry Name: 16 Polmuir Road, Rotunda Lodge, Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 26 May 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355671
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20614
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Mid 19th century. Single storey, attic and basement, 3-bay lodge with later additions and alterations including later 20th century conservatory by Ronald Harrison, agricultural architect. Granite rubble with stugged long and short dressings. Base course; chamfered reveals; long and short quoins.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gableted doorway to centre of ground floor, reached by 6 stone steps, glazed panelled modern door with letterbox fanlight, right return blank; windows to ground and 1st floors of recessed flanking bay to right, modern gableted dormer to attic floor, flanked to left by skylight; gabled bay advanced to left; canted 3-light window to ground floor, narrow round-arched window set in gablehead above, spherical stone finial to apex, modern dormer to re-entrant right of attic.
N ELEVATION: gabled; blank; modern car-port to ground floor.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; predominantly obscured by mansard-roofed wing to centre, panelled door with letterbox fanlight to centre of basement floor; decorative 2-storey timber conservatory adjoining to outer right angle obscuring recessed flanking bay to right, gabled attic floor above with window to centre and stone finial, doorway to left return of conservatory; 2 windows to basement of left return of wing, decorative stained glass windows above, flanked by window to left; window to basement floor of flanking bay to left.
S ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 2-bay, regular fenestration to basement and 1st floors, gableted modern bipartite dormer to attic floor to left.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slate roof with lead ridge. Ridge and gablehead stacks, triple offset coped brick flues with circular cans. Coped stone skews with blocked skewputts. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: fine classical and Scots Renaissance plasterwork and friezes to principal rooms and hall. Many cornices, skirting boards and fireplaces survive.
BOUNDARY WALLS: coursed, coped Aberdeen bond rubble granite walls to E with rectangular-plan gatepiers with pyramidal caps, spherical finials missing; brick coped rubble walls to remainder.
Rotunda Lodge appears to have first been inhabited by James Roy, nurseryman of the adjacent, and extensive "Roy's Nursery" which extended to the W and S. The lodge was named after the rotunda or "Round O", a depression in the ground which it originally overlooked (the Cowdray Club has since been built over it, see separate listing). Despite the variety of alterations to the exterior of Rotunda Lodge it still retains many of its original detailing, the unexpectedly grand interior plasterwork being particularly fine.
Other nearby listed buildings