This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1498 / 57°8'59"N
Longitude: -2.0947 / 2°5'40"W
OS Eastings: 394369
OS Northings: 806550
OS Grid: NJ943065
Mapcode National: GBR SCY.3L
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.SKQ7
Entry Name: Queen Street and West North Street, Queen Street Church (Church of Scotland)
Listing Date: 26 May 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355786
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20644
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
William E Gauld, 1905. 6 x 6 bay, primarily square-plan Classical church and associated 3-storey and basement halls and offices, situated on prominent corner site within the city centre. Notable pedimented Ionic entrance elevation at E (Queen Street). Grey granite ashlar, rock-faced to basement and to ground at entrance elevation, rubble to S. Cill courses, eaves cornice, blocking course to N, balustraded parapet. Segmental-arched openings to ground at N.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Entrance elevation to E: symmetrical 3-bay church with impressive balustraded central Ionic-columned pedimented section rising from 1st storey, incorporating large Venetian window. Pair of segmental-arched openings to ground with recessed multi-panel timber entrance doors. To left, lower 3-bay associated offices with central tripartite windows, pedimented at top storey, others bipartite. 8-panelled 2-leaf timber entrance door with 12-pane fanlight above to ground.
Predominantly multi-pane timber windows, some sash and case, others fixed. Grey slates. Gable and wallhead stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: largely original plan and decorative scheme extant with fine quality timberwork. Impressive and spacious nave and aisle sanctuary with balustraded timber gallery, supported by Ionic cast-iron columns to N, S and W. Timber pews, those to aisles angled communion table, pulpit, choir stalls and organ casing. Architraved part-glazed timber doors with sidelights. Some stained glass at W.
Halls, small chapel and other rooms with timber dado panelling, panelled timber doors, multi-pane glass screens, some cornicing. Open-well stair in vestibule with carved timber balusters and banister.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Queen Street Church has a particularly striking Classical entrance elevation and an impressive near-intact interior, with fine timberwork including an impressive gallery and en suite furniture and pews. The halls, offices and other rooms within the complex are also notable for their quality of timber work and glass screens. The building makes an impact on the streetscape and continues the Classical Aberdeen tradition in its choice of ornament. The pedimented Ionic-columned Venetian window to the East elevation is a particularly striking feature.
The present Church was built on the site of an existing church after the congregation numbers increased to such an extent that a larger church was required. This older church was built as a Free Church in 1844 and had become a United Free Congregation in 1900. This previous church was demolished and the foundation stone laid for the current one on 10th September 1904 by the last surviving daughter of the first minister, Dr John Murray.
The sanctuary has seating for 1000 worshippers and the building contains a large hall at basement level, further smaller halls, church offices and a caretaker's flat. In 1929, the church became a Church of Scotland place of worship and this continues (2006). It was formerly known as The North Church of St Andrew.
William Gauld (1871-1965) was a local Aberdeen architect, who worked mainly in the local area and who was also an elder of the congregation.
Category changed from C(S) to B, 2007.
Other nearby listed buildings