This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.1453 / 57°8'43"N
Longitude: -2.0968 / 2°5'48"W
OS Eastings: 394240
OS Northings: 806051
OS Grid: NJ942060
Mapcode National: GBR SCM.TV
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.RNQP
Plus Code: 9C9V4WW3+47
Entry Name: 20-24 (Even Nos) Guild Street, St Magnus Court, Including 19-23 (Odd Nos) Stirling Street and 22-28 (Even Nos) Exchange Street and 2 Imperial Place
Listing Date: 8 February 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355812
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20662
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Dated 1870. 3-storey and attic, 5-bay hotel and commercial building with Scots Baronial detailing and later, similar adjoining domestic and commercial building to N (see Notes). 12-bays to E (Stirling Street) and W (Exchange Street) and 6 bays to N (Imperial Place). Public House to ground at E and W with timber stallrisers and fascia. Tooled granite with contrasting band courses and flush banding, ashlar to ground. Shallow segmental arched openings (some alterations to ground). Piended dormers with narrow timber moulding. Crowstepped gables to W and E.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Principle elevation to S (Guild Street): symmetrical. Central advanced section with corbelled, stepped parapet with datestone and panel with initials 'CR' and corner corbelled turrets. Outer bays with commercial premises to ground. Corner corbelled turrets with candle-snuffer roofs and weather vanes.
Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows to upper floors, altered windows to ground. Plate glass windows to public house. Grey slate mansard roof with coped gable, ridge and wallhead stacks. Some non-traditional glazing to E and W. Fish scale slates to turrets.
St Magnus Court is a well-detailed building in the Scots Baronial style which makes a distinctive addition to the streetscape of Guild Street. The adjoining building to the North continues the design of St Magnus Court and establishes a uniform appearance to the whole block, enhancing streetscape character. The use of ashlar and contrasting tooled granite is unusual. The shallow segmental arched windows, distinctive timber mouldings to the dormers and the contrasting banding are features of both buildings.
Exchange Street and the surrounding area was redeveloped in the mid-late nineteenth century as a mixed use area with housing, commercial buildings and industrial units. This building was constructed on the site of a previous sawmill. Guild Street lies close to the station and this hotel was one of a number in the area which helped to accommodate an increasing number of travellers.
Other nearby listed buildings