This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1421 / 57°8'31"N
Longitude: -2.1297 / 2°7'46"W
OS Eastings: 392250
OS Northings: 805701
OS Grid: NJ922057
Mapcode National: GBR S6Z.K3
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.8R34
Entry Name: 9 Queen's Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355823
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20671
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Possibly Walker and Duncan, dated 1878; late 20th century additions to SE. 2-storey, basement ant attic, 3-bay villa with Jacobean detailing. Tooled coursed grey granite with finely finished contrasting light grey granite dressings to NW elevation; Aberdeen bond granite rubble to remainder. Base course; long and short quoins; eaves course.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; porch to centre of ground floor on paired Tuscan columns, scrolled strapwork pediment, flanked by decorative obelisks; doorway corniced with consoles, 2-leaf panelled timber door, decorative stained glass letterbox fanlight above and stained glass panels flanking; single window to 1st floor of centre bay; eaves cornice of moulded corbel stones; curvilinear gableted dormer to centre of attic with datestone reading "1878" set in gablehead. Curvilinear gabled bays slightly advanced to bays to left and right, 3-light canted windows through ground and 1st floors, crenellated parapets enclosing balconies to attic floor, hoodmoulded window set in gablehead, stone finial to apex.
SW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; harled gabled addition to ground floor, doorway flanked by polished grey granite column to left return, leading to basement at rear; doorway to centre at ground floor, reached by stone steps, irregular fenestration above; shallow gables flanking to left and right.
SE ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; basement floor obscured by late 20th century addition (now in use as cafe bar). Tall round-arched stair window to centre bay of main block with fine etched glass, gableted dormer to attic above; gabled bays flanking to left and right, tripartite windows to ground and 1st floors, single window set in gablehead of each. Single storey and basement, 5-light canted addition to outer right, leaded and stained glass windows.
NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 2 pairs of windows to centre of ground and 1st floors, shallow gables flanking to left and right; single storey and basement wing addition to left, panelled timber door to centre of right return, flanked to left and right by decorative stained glass windows, 3 stained glass panels above, balustraded parapet, with 2 tall stone pinnacles flanking doorway.
Predominantly 2-pane and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Coped stone skews with decoratively moulded skewputts. Corniced gablehead stacks, no cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: fine interior; skirting boards, panelling and friezes below dado rails, panelled doors with decorative architraves and highly decorative plasterwork friezes, cornices and ceilings to principal rooms; tiled floor to porch; pilastered hall and 1st floor landing, composite capitals; panelled timber dog-leg staircase, with scrolled foliate timber infill under handrail, boldly carved newel posts. Rooms to E of ground floor opened up (late 20th century) to form large casino, decorative mahogany fire surround, paired fluted Corinthian columns supporting elaborate overmantle; oak panelled room in addition to SE, fine stained and etched glass windows and rooflight. Mahogany fire surround to room to W of ground floor, with 3 shell-niche recesses flanked by Ionic columns to overmantle. Fine fireplaces to principal rooms of 1st floor, decorative doorpieces, corniced with decorative consoles. Iron fireplace with Art Nouveau detailing to attic, painted white.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan rough-faced gatepiers with pyramidal caps (shared with adjacent properties) to NW, low coped granite wall between; granite and brick coped rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 9 Queen's Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 9 Queen's Road is part of the earlier block of villas on Queen's Road, between Queen's Cross and Queen's Gate. It is a single villa version of the double villa at 13-19 Forest Road (see separate listing), by Walker and Duncan, the principal shared details being the curvilinear gables and canted windows with crenellated parapets, however it appears to have been built 21 years earlier. 9 Queen's Road is notable not only for its decorative exterior (especially the doorpiece), but also for the exceptionally detailed interior, including fine etched and stained glass.
Other nearby listed buildings