This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1472 / 57°8'49"N
Longitude: -2.0989 / 2°5'56"W
OS Eastings: 394112
OS Northings: 806258
OS Grid: NJ941062
Mapcode National: GBR SCB.GT
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.QMQ8
Entry Name: 11 and 12 Correction Wynd
Listing Date: 25 November 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355832
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20679
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Later 18th century. 3-storey and attic, 3-bay tenement with central nepus gable and broad wallhead stack; shop frontage of circa 1880 to ground floor. Neatly squared and coursed granite rubble. Shopfront spans 1st and 2nd bays. Composed of timber fascia with a central doorway. Panelled stallrisers and plate glass windows, multi-pane astragalled to upper part. Flanked by ribbed timber consoles. Polished ashlar surrounds to ground floor. Pend opening at 3rd bay with chamfered corners and double-leaf cast-iron gate. Central canted tripartite 1st floor oriel window to rear of building.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows to upper floors. Slate pitched roof; skews and moulded ashlar skewputts. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
No 11 is a good example of an 18th century Aberdeen tenement and of the granite masonry work associated with this period. Its nepus gable and relatively early shopfront are rare survivals in this part of the City. The gable adds considerably to the streetscape, particularly when viewed from the adjacent St Nicolas Kirk graveyard.
Correction Wynd, St Nicholas Street and St Nicholas Lane occupy the site of the former N end of 'The Green', the S side of which can be reached via a tunnel running underneath Union Street. The Green was the central part of the former Medieval layout of the city. A 'House of Correction' was founded on the site in 1637 and stood until 1711. A plaque on the wall of St Nicholas Kirkyard, which lines the Wynd to the W, states that the house 'provided lodging and employment in the cloth industry for vagrants and delinquents'. The loading bay and carpark behind No 19 Correction Wynd was formerly the site of St Thomas's Church (later the Free Melville).
Restored 1989 by Jenkins and Marr along with a number of other buildings on Correction Wynd.
Other nearby listed buildings