This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.147 / 57°8'49"N
Longitude: -2.0988 / 2°5'55"W
OS Eastings: 394117
OS Northings: 806243
OS Grid: NJ941062
Mapcode National: GBR SCC.64
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.QMRC
Entry Name: 12a-15 Correction Wynd
Listing Date: 25 November 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355833
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20680
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Later 18th century. 3-storey, 6-bay residential and commercial building with shops to ground separated by central pend. Neatly squared and coursed granite rubble with sandstone dressings. Large, segmental-arched opening above pend, now infilled with single window. Timber fascia to shopfront at 5th and 6th bays with panelled stall risers, fixed-pane glazing, corniced frieze flanked by panelled die blocks. Cast-iron gate to pend.
12-pane timber sash and case windows to upper floors; non-traditional glazing at ground floor shops to left. Slated steeply pitched roof with large velux windows (replacing tripartite, canted dormers); red brick ridge stack. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
Nos 13 and 15 form a significant part of the streetscape in this part of Aberdeen. Dating from the early 19th century, the two buildings were designed as a pair with central pend leading to workshops at the rear as seen on the 2nd edition ordnance survey map (1892). The building is representative of the granite masonry work associated with this period. Despite the loss of its original dormers, window infill and alteration to ground floor level, the building continues to make a significant contribution to this medieval thoroughfare and it overlooks the St Nicholas Kirk burial ground.
Restored 1989 by Jenkins and Marr along with a number of other buildings on Correction Wynd
Correction Wynd, St Nicholas Street and St Nicholas Lane occupy the site of the former N end of 'The Green', the S side of which can be reached via a tunnel running underneath Union Street. 'The Green' being the centre of the former Medieval layout of the city. A 'House of Correction' was founded on the site in 1637 and stood until 1711. A plaque on the wall of St Nicholas Kirkyard, which lines the Wynd to the W, states that the house 'provided lodging and employment in the cloth industry for vagrants and delinquents'. The loading bay and carpark behind No 19 Correction Wynd was formerly the site of St Thomas's Church (later the Free Melville).
Other nearby listed buildings