This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1434 / 57°8'36"N
Longitude: -2.1337 / 2°8'1"W
OS Eastings: 392010
OS Northings: 805846
OS Grid: NJ920058
Mapcode National: GBR S6F.9G
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.6Q74
Plus Code: 9C9V4VV8+9G
Entry Name: 23, 25 and 27 Forest Road at Beaconsfield Place, Langley, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355853
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20694
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Matthews & Mackenzie, 1888; rear addition, William Kelly (of Kelly & Nicol), circa 1905. 2-storey and basement 3-bay villa with substantial addition to E. Rough-faced coursed grey granite to principal elevation of 1888 villa, Aberdeen bond granite rubble to remainder, finely finished dressings and margins. Dark grey rough-faced granite base course and quoins; 1st floor cill course to 1888 villa; eaves course; overhanging eaves; timber bargeboards.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 1888 villa; asymmetrical; 3-bay; doorway to centre of ground floor, reached by stone steps with railings, panelled timber door flanked by glazed panels and letterbox fanlight, window to 1st floor above; regular fenestration to basement, ground and 1st floors of bay to left, single storey addition to outer left (see below); broad canted bay to right, window to centre of basement floor, window to each of 3 facets at ground and 1st floor.
SE ELEVATION: 1888 villa; asymmetrical; 2-bay; gabled bay to left, conservatory addition at ground floor, 3-light canted oriel corbelled out at 1st floor, regular fenestration to flanking bay to right. Circa 1905 addition adjoining at angle to outer right; asymmetrical; 2-bay; narrow link bay to left, window to ground floor, bipartite window to 1st floor; shallow canted gabled bay to right, tripartite window to ground floor, 3-light corbelled oriel to 1st floor, flanked to left and right by narrow windows with blind trefoil-heads, gablehead harled and jettied out on corbel brackets.
NE ELEVATION: 1905 addition obscures 1888 villa; timber conservatory linked to ground floor by modern flat-roofed glazed block; window to right of 1st floor; advanced flue of wallhead stack through ground and 1st floors breaking eaves.
NW ELEVATION: 1888 villa to right; 2-bay; blank gabled bay to right, piend-roofed garage addition to right of ground floor, panelled door to Forest Road, purple-grey slate roof with terracotta ridges, lean-to addition to left return, window to 1st floor above; recessed bay flanking to left, obscured by various additions. 1905 addition adjoining at angle to outer left, facing N, irregularly placed door and window openings, gabled bay to left with harled gablehead.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows, plate glass lower pane and decoratively leaded upper sash to 1888 villa; some replacement PVCu glazing to 1905 addition. Grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped gablehead and wallhead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: fine moulded ceilings; some fire surrounds; panelled timber doors, architraves and mouldings survive; staircase removed.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: 2 pairs of square-plan gatepiers, with corniced caps to W, flanked by low coped Aberdeen bond boundary walls to W and N; coped rubble walls to remainder.
Forest Road is built on the site of Stocket Forest, hence the appropriate name which was chosen by Sir Alexander Anderson, Lord Provost at the time. James Matthews (1820-1898) and Alexander Marshall Mackenzie (1848-1933) became partners in 1877, although Mackenzie had trained with Matthews some years before. From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. Langley is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as Mackenzie & Matthews, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients.
Other nearby listed buildings