This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1435 / 57°8'36"N
Longitude: -2.1346 / 2°8'4"W
OS Eastings: 391950
OS Northings: 805858
OS Grid: NJ919058
Mapcode National: GBR S68.ZW
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.5QR1
Entry Name: 22 Forest Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355863
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20701
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
William Henderson, 1893. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay villa with contemporary single storey billiard room wing adjoining to N. Rough-faced coursed grey granite ashlar, finely finished to margins of NE elevation; coursed granite rubble to remainder. Rough-faced and finely finished base course; ground and 1st floor cill and lintel courses; overhanging eaves; timber bargeboards. Architraved openings to ground floor of SE elevation.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; distinctive doorpiece to centre bay of ground floor, roll-moulded round-arched doorway, polished pink granite spheres set in spandrels, unusual triple arcaded fanlight, round-arched panelled timber door; window to centre of 1st floor above. Gabled bay to left and advanced to right, bipartite windows to ground, 1st and attic floors, delicate iron finial to apexes. Single storey gabled wing adjoining to outer right, tripartite window to centre, stone mullion and transoms, deeply chamfered outer angles, with round-arched window openings to each chamfer, rectangular window pane, foliate cartouche set in tympana.
NW ELEVATION: gabled; ground floor obscured by single storey wing, advanced to right, window to left return; squat tripartite window with leaded glass centred in gablehead.
SW ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
SE ELEVATION: gabled; 2-storey block advanced to centre, architraved doorway to right return, panelled timber door, moulded parapet above.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped stone skews with scrolled skewputts. Corniced gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative iron hoppers.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: 2 pairs of obelisk granite gatepiers with shallow pyramidal caps to NE, low rough-faced granite walls between; rubble walls with brick and granite coped to remainder.
Forest Road is built on the site of Stocket Forest, hence the appropriate name which was chosen by Sir Alexander Anderson, Lord Provost at the time. From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 22 Forest Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Stocket Forest was originally part of the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road (which was renamed Queen's Road) and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as William Henderson, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. The decorative doorpiece, fine iron finials and unusual wing are of particular note.
Other nearby listed buildings