This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.145 / 57°8'41"N
Longitude: -2.1358 / 2°8'9"W
OS Eastings: 391878
OS Northings: 806018
OS Grid: NJ918060
Mapcode National: GBR S63.YK
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.5N6Y
Entry Name: 44, 44a and 46 Forest Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355867
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20705
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
John Rust, 1894. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay double villa. Tooled coursed grey granite with contrasting light grey long and short dressings finely finished to margins at NE elevation; coursed granite rubble to remainder. Base course; band course; eaves course; long and short quoins. Panelled aprons; doorways corniced with consoles.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 4-bay comprising 2 2-bay mirrored houses, 44 Forest Road is subdivided into flats; near-symmetrical; 3-light canted windows through ground and 1st floors of centre 2 bays, parapets forming balconies to attic floor, pedimented attic floor flanked by deep scrolls, bipartite windows to centre, blind oculi set in pediment, stone finial to apex. Doorways to ground floor of bays to outer left and right, pair of replacement double doors to 44 and 44A Forest Road, single pilastered panelled timber door with letterbox fanlight to 46 Forest Road; gableted window breaking eaves to 1st floor above, details mirror central pediments; rectangular and piend-roofed dormers to attic floor above.
NW ELEVATION: gabled; stepped tripartite stair window to centre, 3-light window above; irregular fenestration to remainder; 2-storey wing adjoining to outer right.
SW ELEVATION: service wings to outer left and right, modern rectangular dormers to attic floor.
SE ELEVATION: gabled; stepped tripartite stair window to centre, 3-light window above; irregular fenestration to remainder; 2-storey wing adjoining to outer right.
2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Coped stone skews with scrolled skewputts. Coped gablehead and ridge stacks with square-plan cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: low granite wall to NE; rubble walls to remainder.
Forest Road is built on the site of Stocket Forest, hence the appropriate name which was chosen by Sir Alexander Anderson, Lord Provost at the time. From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 44 and 46 Forest Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Stocket Forest was originally part of the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road (which was renamed Queen's Road) and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as John Rust, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 44 and 46 Forest Road are similar in composition and detailing to the nearby 9 and 11 Forest Road and 14 and 16 Forest Road (see separate listing), both designed by Arthur Clyne. Details of note include the stone finials, doorways and square-plan cans.
Other nearby listed buildings