This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1461 / 57°8'45"N
Longitude: -2.1364 / 2°8'11"W
OS Eastings: 391842
OS Northings: 806137
OS Grid: NJ918061
Mapcode National: GBR S61.24
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.4NX4
Entry Name: 64 Forest Road at Morningfield Road, Including Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355868
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20706
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Alexander Mavor, 1899. 2-storey and attic, 2-bay villa. Rough-faced coursed grey granite ashlar with finely finished to margins of E elevation: tooled granite and granite rubble to remainder. Base course; dividing band course; eaves course.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled bay to left, 3-light canted window with scalloped parapet to ground floor, bipartite window above, round-arched tripartite window with keystone detail to attic floor, stone finial to apex; bipartite windows to ground and 1st floors of bay to right, dormer to attic floor above.
N ELEVATION: pair of gables; irregular fenestration.
W ELEVATION: single storey wing to centre of ground floor, window flanking to left at 1st floor, piend roofed bipartite dormer to left of attic; shouldered wallhead stack breaking wallhead to centre.
S ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 2-bay; gabled, tripartite window to centre of ground floor, bipartite window to 1st floor, round-arched tripartite window set in gablehead, stone finial to apex; flat-roofed porch with crenellated parapet, panelled timber door to right return; window to right of ground floor, window centred above porch to 1st floor.
2-pane timber sash and case windows and PVCu windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped stone skews with beaked skewputts. Coped wallhead stacks with gablet detail and circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan gatepiers to SE with decorative pyramidal caps, low rough-faced granite walls flanking; rubble walls to remainder.
Forest Road is built on the site of Stocket Forest, hence the appropriate name which was chosen by Sir Alexander Anderson, Lord Provost at the time. From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 64 Forest Road is part of the later 19th/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Stocket Forest was originally part of the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road (which was renamed Queen's Road) and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 64 Forest Road is well detailed with fine gatepiers.
Other nearby listed buildings