This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1423 / 57°8'32"N
Longitude: -2.1287 / 2°7'43"W
OS Eastings: 392308
OS Northings: 805724
OS Grid: NJ923057
Mapcode National: GBR S73.VL
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.8QKZ
Entry Name: 3 Queen's Road, St Joseph's Roman Catholic Primary School
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355871
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20709
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Circa 1880. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan villa, originally detached, modern links to 1 and 5 Queen's Road (see separate listings), W J Devlin, 1923. Tooled, coursed grey granite, finely finished to margins; rough-faced basement; granite rubble to SE elevation. Base course; panelled aprons; dividing band course; eaves course; overhanging eaves on brackets.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; doorway to centre of ground floor, corniced with consoles, steps leading to former door, now converted to window, letterbox fanlight above; canted windows to flanking bays to left and right at ground floor. Window to centre of 1st floor, flanked to left and right by bipartite windows.
SW ELEVATION: obscured by link to 5 Queen's Road, W J Devlin, 1923.
SE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; doorway to centre of ground floor, irregular fenestration to remainder; 2 tripartite rectangular dormers to attic floor, with skylight between. Modern links adjoining to left and right (see above and below).
NE ELEVATION: obscured by link to 1 Queen's Road, W J Devlin, 1923.
Predominantly 2-pane and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridges. Stacks removed. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: many mouldings, architraves and panelled timber doors survive. Particularly good cornice to principal room of ground floor, and panelled window surround. Stair survives, decorative iron balusters.
B-Group with Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls, 3 Queen's Cross, 1 and 5 Queen's Road (see separate listings). St Joseph's Roman Catholic School began in the small gardener's cottage on the periphery of the present school grounds, under the direction of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart. In 1896 the school was taken on by the Aberdeen Education Authority as St Joseph's Girls School. It was a small school with 125 pupils and six teachers. In 1970 the school moved to 3 Queen's Cross, and a few years later took on the adjoining buildings, with the exception of 1 Queen's Road, which was retained by the Sisters of the Sacred Heart until 1993. Despite the alteration of the original doorway, 3 Queen's Road survives a good example of the type of villa which emerged as Aberdeen expanded westwards in the 19th century. Some interior details also survive.
Other nearby listed buildings