This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1423 / 57°8'32"N
Longitude: -2.129 / 2°7'44"W
OS Eastings: 392290
OS Northings: 805717
OS Grid: NJ922057
Mapcode National: GBR S72.F3
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.8RF0
Entry Name: 5 Queen's Road, St Joseph's Roman Catholic Primary School
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355872
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20710
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Circa 1880. 2-storey, basement and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan villa with gothic detailing, originally detached; modern link to 3 Queen's Road, W J Devlin, 1923. Tooled coursed grey granite finely finished to contrasting light grey margins; Aberdeen bond granite rubble to SW and SE elevations. Base course; predominantly basket-arched windows; chamfered cills; dividing band course; eaves course; gableted dormers.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; regular fenestration to basement floor; deeply chamfered former doorway to centre of ground floor, now converted to window; bipartite window to flanking bay to right, regular fenestration to 1st floor above; bipartite dormers with Tudor-arched windows and timber trefoil set in gablet. Flanking bay to left gabled and stepped forward with kneelers, canted window to ground floor, with piended slate roof truncated to form balcony at 1st floor, gothic ironwork surmounting; bipartite window above; Tudor-arched window centred in gablehead set in relieving arch.
SW ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; gabled; windows to centre of basement, ground and 1st floors, that to 1st floor with pointed relieving arch; window off-centre to left of attic.
SE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-bay; doorway to centre of ground floor, stair window above, skylight to centre of attic; canted window through basement and ground floor of flanking bay to left, window to 1st floor, dormer to attic floor; gabled bay to right, canted basement with door inset, canted window to 1st floor, windows to 1st floor and attic floor. Link to 3 Queen's Road adjoining to right (see below).
NE ELEVATION: obscured by link to 3 Queen's Road, W J Devlin, 1923.
Predominantly 2-pane and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with fishscale band to centre, lead ridge. Coped skews with gableted skewputts. Coped granite gablehead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: simple interior with some original detailing surviving.
B-Group with Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls, 3 Queen's Cross, 1 and 3 Queen's Road (see separate listings). St Joseph's Roman Catholic School began in the small gardener's cottage on the periphery of the present school grounds, under the direction of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart. In 1896 the school was taken on by the Aberdeen Education Authority as St Joseph's Girls School. It was a small school with 125 pupils and six teachers. In 1970 the school moved to 3 Queen's Cross, and a few years later took on the adjoining buildings, with the exception of 1 Queen's Road, which was retained by the Sisters of the Sacred Heart until 1993. Despite the alteration of the original doorway, 5 Queen's Road survives a good example of the type of villa which emerged as Aberdeen expanded westwards in the 19th century.
Other nearby listed buildings