This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1421 / 57°8'31"N
Longitude: -2.1301 / 2°7'48"W
OS Eastings: 392225
OS Northings: 805692
OS Grid: NJ922056
Mapcode National: GBR S6Y.3M
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.7RX6
Entry Name: 11 Queen's Road, Including Ancillary Structure, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355874
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20713
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
James Matthews, 1875; later additions and alterations. 2-storey, basement and attic, 3-bay villa with Scots baronial detailing. Tooled coursed grey granite, with finely finished dressings in contrasting light grey granite to NW elevation; granite rubble to remainder. Base course; dividing band course; long and short dressings with chamfered reveals; eaves course; crowstepped gables.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; elaborate doorpiece to centre of ground floor, low walls flanking doorway to left and right forming plinths for jambs, roll-moulded segmental arch between with keystone detail, balustraded parapet above, with piers surmounted by spherical finials flanking; roll-moulded segmental-arched doorway, panelled timber door, fanlight above. Window to centre of 1st floor; eaves blocking course with blind tablet to centre. Gabled bays flanking to left and right; 3-light canted window to ground floor of each, forming balcony to tripartite windows at 1st floor; centre light of tripartite window corniced with consoles, supporting decorative trefoil-headed pediment; stone finials to apex of gables. Curved outer angles to ground floor, angle turrets corbelled-out to 1st floor above, window to centre of each, conical roofs with fishscale slates, iron finial to apex.
SW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4-bay; angle turret to outer left (see above), gabled bay to left with small opening at attic level; tripartite window to ground floor of flanking bay to right, stained glass tripartite window to 1st floor above; penultimate bay to right gabled, windows to ground and 1st floors; single window to ground floor of bay to outer right.
SE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-bay; bays to right predominantly obscured by 20th century harled addition, single window to 1st floor of centre bay, 2 gableted dormers to attic floor, infill between with modern skylight; gabled bay to left, bowed bay through basement, ground and 1st floors, forming balcony to attic floor, doorway to centre of basement floor, flanked to left and right by single window, 3 windows to ground and 1st floors; modern 2-light window centred in gablehead of attic floor, corniced with round-arched pediment bearing initials "JS"; stone finial to apex of gable.
NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; additions obscuring ground floor of bays to left; gabled bay stepped forward to left, 2 louvred openings inset; irregular fenestration to centre bay; bay to right blank, with angle turret to outer right (see above).
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead and felt ridges. Corniced gablehead, ridge and wallhead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: good interior; tiled floor to porch; round-arched inner doorway, panelled timber door with glazed upper panes and fanlight, glazed round-arched panels flanking to left and right; segmental and round arches supported by columns (some polished pink and grey granite) and pilasters with dentil moulded capitals to lower and upper halls; dog-leg stair with turned balusters and panelled newel posts; fine stained glass stair window. Highly decorative wall and ceiling mouldings to principal room to E of ground floor; cornices, skirting boards, mouldings, architraves and doors survive to most principal rooms; fireplaces removed.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: single storey and attic L-plan ancillary structure to SE of villa. Aberdeen bond granite rubble, finely finished to margins. Some openings boarded-up; 12-pane timber sash and case windows and boarded timber doors. Grey slate roof with lead ridges; coped ridge stack with octagonal cans; cast-iron rainwater goods.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan granite ashlar gatepiers to NW (shared with adjacent properties), corniced with shallow pyramidal caps; low coped rough-faced granite walls between; granite and brick coped rubble walls to remainder; 2 square-plan ashlar gatepiers to SE wall, with pyramidal caps, boarded timber gates between.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 11 Queen's Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as James Matthews, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. The client in this case was James Saint, a silk mercer who was presumably the same James Saint in commemoration of whom J B Pirie designed a monument in the Allenvale Cemetery in 1892 (see separate listing). 11 Queen's Road is part of the earlier block of villas on Queen's Road, between Queen's Cross and Queen's Gate. The building is notable not only for its Scots baronial exterior, but also for the fine interior, much of which survives in good condition. Currently in use as the Sportsman's Club.
Other nearby listed buildings